🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Do not meet criteria because of location? I’m...
Page options
slaterwriting
Community Member

Do not meet criteria because of location? I’m in Missouri

Hello. Every time I try to submit a proposal, I get the same message:

“You do not meet all the client's preferred qualifications

You may still submit a proposal, but the client will see that the proposal does not meet the following criteria:

Location: United States, UTC-05:00, UTC-06:00, UTC-07:00, UTC-08:00”

The requirement for the job is that I must be in the U.S. My location in Missouri in the Kansas City metro area is included in my profile. I have tried to figure out how to modify it, turn on location services for the app, make it happy in some way, but to no avail.

I don’t know what it wants me to do to fix it. Any assistance would be very appreciated. Thank you.
15 REPLIES 15
JoanneP

Hi Melinda, 

Could you please send me a PM with the job post link so I can check this for you? You can PM me by clicking on my name. Thank you.

~ Joanne
Upwork

Joanne Marie, thank you for your reply, but I cannot PM you. It gets glitchy each time I try. I’ve tried on several occasions. I’m starting to think I need to uninstall and reinstall the app.

The message I am getting about location has happened before. It’s like it refuses to believe where I’m at. I didn’t used to have my location turned on, but I do now, so that isn’t the issue.

I’m not sure what will make the App Gods happy.

Hi Melinda,

I just sent you a "test" PM and it was successful. You can access your PMs by clicking on the envelop icon at the top right corner. Please try replying to the "test" PM and share the job post as an example with me. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

If a job shows up in my feed, does that mean it is close enough to my office? How do I know where a job is, if it’s not stated in the post?

re: "If a job shows up in my feed, does that mean it is close enough to my office?"

No.

re: "How do I know where a job is, if it’s not stated in the post?"

You don't know where it is. It does not matter. The reason the job has been posted on a Upwork, without a location indicator, is because the client does not care where the freelancer is located.

Hi Tom, 

On the job posting you'll see where the client is located. However, as Preston noted vast majority of the jobs on Upwork are done remotely. Upwork allows freelancers and clients all over the world to collaborate. If there are any location requirements or preferences though, it'll be indicated on the job posting.

~ Valeria
Upwork

The client posted the following but dont know where he’s located:

• 8 hours of production, 2 locations within the same metro area in 1 day

re: "The client posted the following but dont know where he’s located:

- 8 hours of production, 2 locations within the same metro area in 1 day"

Tom: There is no way to identify the specific locations from this job post.

It is up to you to decide whether or not you want to apply to this job posting or not.

Personally, I don't think this is a serious client who I want to work with.

Would YOU post a job posting like that? Would YOU post a job requiring people to work at a specific location, without mentioning the location?

I noticed that the client just started using upwork yesterday. Probably their first post. I wish there was a way to contact them and ask questions.

Hello. Every time I try to submit a proposal, I get the same message:

“You do not meet all the client's preferred qualifications

You may still submit a proposal, but the client will see that the proposal does not meet the following criteria:

Hi Deeksha,

Clients can set their preferred qualifications for their job post. If you are not meeting them, you can still submit a proposal, but they'll be able to see that you're not meeting all the qualifications. However, this is not showing on all jobs, but only on ones where the client sets the qualifications.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
andrea6060
Community Member

I'm having the same issue. Did you resolve this?
I love being creative and finding solutions that work for clients.

Hi Andrea,

When you mention you're having the same issue, are you specifically referring to the message you get when not meeting the client's preferred qualifications? Is it related to your location? Please let us know, so we can assist you further.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi, Andrea. If you are talking about the location issue, it did get resolved...except I don’t remember how. I seem to remember uninstalling and reinstalling the app, but I’m not sure. I wish I could recall it better. Sorry.
Melinda
johnakinola
Community Member

Hi Melinda, 
I  personally think it goes two ways; 

1. If you are confident that you can do the job best, then apply anyways. 

2. If you read the job post and it seems the clients wants a physical meeting, don't apply. 

Also, if you find yo client wants people in the same timezone, it means you might have to pass on that job but ultimately only appy when you are very confident in your ability to deliver, irrespective of the qualification. 

Hope this helps!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members