cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do not transfer your elance account

Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
11 of 22

When I first joined there were people who had worked hundreds of hours at around $0.50 an hour. - and it was still much better than it is now. I'm afraid you've jumped from the Lucitaina to the Titanic.

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
12 of 22
Tim, what was your original JS? I'm worried now, I recently merged my accounts, and something got a bit messed up with my job history - I hope that doesn't affect my JS!
Ace Contributor
Tim H Member Since: Jul 7, 2015
13 of 22

@Isabelle, I just transferred over a few days ago, so 86% is my original JS. I was a bit taken aback after researching the JS factor, as my Elance clients have been thoroughly satisfied for many years... long-term and repeat clients. In 7 years I can only remember 2, maybe 3 feedbacks that were not 5-stars... and 1 complaint from a con-artist years ago that resulted in the dispute mediation process ruling in my favor.

Honestly, I don't think Elance's metrics have ever been accurate, so I'm not getting my hopes up in regards to this new platform... just expecting the same. In all the time I spent on Elance I can hardly remember a single improvement to the platform. The financial reporting aspect is practically nill... there are so many missing and non-existent features.

In fact, it seems the only modifications ever made to the platform were aimed at increasing Elance's profit margin, rather than increasing usability.

Clients and freelancers are never afforded the flexibility required to work in such an environment. For instance, many times I'll go over a deadline simply because the client is pleased with my work and tasks me with more. Sometimes a client will cancel a job and create a new, higher paying one in lieu of the original. This type of activity, while actually a postive relationship beetween the freelancer and client, creates a negative impact on the Freelancer's rating.

It's quite disappointing really. 

Consider it from an Elancer's perspective:

1. Going from 8.75% in fees to 10%
2. Competing with $3/hr. oDesk freelancers

This boat sure is feeling like the Titanic.

EDIT: Please don't take #2 as an insult to oDesk users... it's just my honest opinion that any programmer with real skill is worth much more than $3/hr. I remember when outsourcing overseas (India especially) became quite popular on Elance... 1-2 years later clients were begging for American programmers. Jus' sayin.

Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
14 of 22

I've decided I like elance people now. I was dubious at first, but I'm starting to believe they add a certain cachet to the place.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
15 of 22

Whenever I get frustrated with Elance, I just watch some Family Guy.

haha you want $1/100 words? To the Petercopter!

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
16 of 22

@Ramon B wrote:

I've decided I like elance people now. I was dubious at first, but I'm starting to believe they add a certain cachet to the place.

Thank you, Ramon.

In turn, let me compliment the forum participants. The Upwork forum is much less dreary and contentious than Elance's Water Cooler, where rejection of and defensive argumentation against sound advice from veterans wastes an enormous amount of electrons. (So save some of that dubiosity for when the eviction notices start being issued.) 

Best,

Michael

Community Guru
17 of 22

Alexandr,

There is no Job Success score on Elance. If you are thinking of the Recommend rate, that is only one factor in the Job Success score, which could end up higher or lower than the Recommend rate. If you are thinking of the Client Satisfaction score, I'm not sure how they relate; there is no expectation of a one-to-one correspondence.

Best,

Michael

Alexandr M Member Since: Jun 27, 2015
18 of 22

Douglas Michael, 

My main incern is not being able to improve my job success score due to technical limitations of elance-to-upwork transfer.

I have some elance jobs without feedback, and I have my clients. They are happy with my work and would like to leave feedback on site. But they are not able to do that, because elance disables feedbak function after 60 days.

Its not a problem on elance, and my metrics there are ok, but its a problem on upwork, where having feedback for every job is very important. Thats why i believe upwork users have the ability to modify it if client agrees. 

So when upwork introduced JS odesk freelancers got the ability to improve it by asking their clients for feedback. Elance users on the other hand are unable to do that, because their clients come from another platform. Thats unfair 

Community Guru
19 of 22

Alexandr,

A @mod should be along shortly to confirm that having (public) feedback for every job is not that important.

Input to your Elance profile dynamically updates your Upwork profile. If you have Elance jobs with no feedback, you can ask your clients to post it there, and it will probably migrate. (Again, a @mod can confirm or correct this).

Private feedback carries much more weight than public feedback. There's nothing you can do about that on either platform.

Best,

Michael

Community Leader
Sharon L Member Since: Jun 14, 2015
20 of 22

I don't understand why the Job Success score is so important. Surely a track record of work done (from Elance or Upwork) carries more weight? Is it something to do with the way freelancers are ranked when they are searched for? Having said that, I have not received any invitations since I transfered my Elance account. I did have some on Elance (but ironically the majority of them arrived when I was busy on a project).

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS