cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Do we really need another algorithm for this?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
1 of 29

I got a message this morning telling me I hadn't contacted one of my clients (the last message I received from the client was one sent on Christmas Eve to let me know that he wanted to resume the project I'm working on in the New Year):

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Description of the edited screen shot. The message from Trust and Safety came through with links to support tickets. The initial message started with "We are contacting you in relation to your ongoing job with (client)...." it went on to inform me that I hadn't contacted the client in "a few days" (in my case, the last communication was December 24th).  It goes on to say that "(client) is counting on you to complete this project..."

When I contacted the client, he said he hadn't initiated a ticket with UpWork. I had to ask the Trust & Safety agent twice whether the ticket was initiated by my client before I got a response stating that the client had not, in fact, contacted them. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Description of edited screen shot: T&S agent admits after my second email to him asking the same question that the client did not, in fact initiate a ticket. The agent goes on to explain that this the message was sent as the result of an algorithm that tests "unanswered questions from clients that are left for a few days" and that this has been designed to "maximize positive outcomes for the clients & high job success scores for the freelancer."

Do we really need an algorithm for this? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 29

Renata S wrote:

I got a message this morning telling me I hadn't contacted one of my clients (the last message I received from the client was one sent on Christmas Eve to let me know that he wanted to resume the project I'm working on in the New Year):

Do we really need an algorithm for this? 

No.

No, we do not. That's outrageous.

One more reason to take communication out of Upwork immediately  upon hiring. The potential for misunderstandings and bad blood caused by this kind of ***bleeping bleep*** is very high indeed.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
3 of 29

It really seems me quite intrusive.

Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 29

Maria T wrote:

As does removing the screenshots from my post. I took out the identifying information about both the client and the support agent so I'm not sure why I can't post these.

Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
5 of 29

Renata S wrote:

Maria T wrote:

As does removing the screenshots from my post. I took out the identifying information about both the client and the support agent so I'm not sure why I can't post these.

Why have the screenshots been deleted?
There was no confidential information.
Without those images nobody will know what Renata is talking about!
Or is that really what they want?
Mods?

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 29

Maria T wrote:

Renata S wrote:

Maria T wrote:

Why have the screenshots been deleted?
There was no confidential information.
Without those images nobody will know what Renata is talking about!
Or is that really what they want?
Mods?

Maybe someone can answer that for me? If I took out any identifying information, why can't I post the messages I got from UpWork Trust and Safety? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
7 of 29

Breathing down their necks is what some people run away from when they decide to go into freelancing. This is breathing down their necks.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 29

Hi Renata,

This is a notification we are testing to help increase positive contract outcomes. I'll certainly forward feedback you and others shared on this thread to the team that's running this test. 

Thank you.

Edited to add: screenshots have been removed from the original post as "posting email content, chat transcripts or other private communication" is against the Community Guidelines and screenshots unfortunately included email content.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
9 of 29

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Renata,

This is a notification we are testing to help increase positive contract outcomes. I'll certainly forward feedback you and others shared on this thread to the team that's running this test. 

Thank you.

Is it possible to be taken off the list for testing any of these new features? Or to request only those I consider well thought out? 

Also, even if you are testing the feature, I'm not sure why I can't post the screenshots of the messages since I took some time to remove any identifying information. 

Or is it actually UpWork's intention that freelancers should believe that their clients are initiating support tickets about the quality of their communication as determined by the algorithm? That was my first thought this morning and I didn't understand why my client might choose to do this instead of simply sending a second message if he thought I had missed the first one. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
10 of 29

Renata S wrote:

Also, even if you are testing the feature, I'm not sure why I can't post the screenshots of the messages since I took some time to remove any identifying information. 

The consistent appearance since I've been on Upwork (about three years) is that it is very, very important to the company that freelancers not share information with one another in any meaningful way. By prohibiting any reposting of messages and information, even those that contain no confidential information, they make it difficult or impossible for freelancers to get on the same page about..well, anything that might encourage a large number of people to push back on the same issue or for a freelancer or client in the forums to meaningfully advise a user whose problem is with Upwork rather than with a client or freelancer

Of course, I'm not a mind reader. That's just the impression I've gotten participating in the forums these past few years.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS