cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Do we really need another algorithm for this?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
11 of 29

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Renata,

This is a notification we are testing to help increase positive contract outcomes. I'll certainly forward feedback you and others shared on this thread to the team that's running this test. 

Thank you.

Edited to add: screenshots have been removed from the original post as "posting email content, chat transcripts or other private communication" is against the Community Guidelines and screenshots unfortunately included email content.

Valeria, since the screenshots cannot be shown, can you explain exactly what this new "test without warning" consists of?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
12 of 29

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Renata,

This is a notification we are testing to help increase positive contract outcomes. I'll certainly forward feedback you and others shared on this thread to the team that's running this test. 

Both the wording and the intent are wrong. From the message one can't tell if the client requested Upwork to send the message and client/provider communication is none of UW's business.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
13 of 29

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Renata,

It seems like a rather questionable decision to start testing this during the holidays. Most of my clients specifically told me that they would be closed until 6 January, so there's no reason for me to be messaging them this week.

If you're looking for some tests to do, why not test some ways to keep all the scamming freelancers and fraudulent clients out of the marketplace?

Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
14 of 29

Christine A wrote:

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Renata,

It seems like a rather questionable decision to start testing this during the holidays. Most of my clients specifically told me that they would be closed until 6 January, so there's no reason for me to be messaging them this week.

If you're looking for some tests to do, why not test some ways to keep all the scamming freelancers and fraudulent clients out of the marketplace?

+ 1000

Highlighted
Community Guru
David S M Member Since: Apr 24, 2018
15 of 29

Christine A wrote:

Yes, 100% agree. However, I feel UW takes substantial measures to smoke out scamming freelancers, with the JSS system, client feedback shown on their profile, identity verification (or whatever its called), and much more. UW seems to do quite a bit less to keep fradulent clients off Upwork, and this is where I wish they could do some testing. If you really stop and think about it, keeping fradulent clients off the platform is where Upwork can increase profitability the most. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
16 of 29

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Renata,

Thank you.

Edited to add: screenshots have been removed from the original post as "posting email content, chat transcripts or other private communication" is against the Community Guidelines and screenshots unfortunately included email content.

I feel that the wording of the initial Trust & Safety message I received is vital to communicating the source of the issue. Also, it's important to note that this message was sent to me with an indication that I was receiving the notification as the result of a support ticket.

That's the outrageous aspect of the message that Petra caught. Why didn't anyone at UpWork notice this?  

And can you give me a direct address of someone at UpWork I can contact to communicate just what a bad idea I feel it is to send freelancers messages like this, let alone to test it out on one without their knowledge? It's simply unbelievable how bad both of those ideas are. 

UNIFORMED TESTING = EPIC FAIL

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
17 of 29

Renata S wrote:

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Renata,

Thank you.

I feel that the text of the initial Trust & Safety message I received is vital to communicating the source of the issue. Also, it's important to note that this message was sent to me with an indication that I was receiving the notification as the result of a support ticket.

That's the outrageous aspect of the message that Petra caught. Why didn't anyone at UpWork notice this?  

And can you give me a direct address of someone at UpWork I can contact to communicate just what a bad idea I feel it is to send freelancers messages like this, let alone to test it out on one without their knowledge? It's simply unbelievable what bad ideas both of those things are. 

This is not a feature. It is intrusive and utterly unacceptable. I think Upwork wants to rid its site of professional top rated freelancers. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Miriam H Member Since: May 16, 2017
18 of 29

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Renata,

Thank you.

Professionals don't require this level of prompting.  There has been much discussion about the transition to paid connects, which I had understood is to help elevate the quality of client/freelancer relationships. This "test" is the exact opposite. If a freelancer requires a prompt (other than in extreme circumstances where there may be an emergency) by UPWORK to contact their client, this platform has bigger problems.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Richard S Member Since: Mar 12, 2019
19 of 29

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Renata,

'This is a notification we are testing to try and force communication and influence the relationship between clients and freelancers, with the hope it will lead to more work being completed and money generated.'

Whoever, thought of this Valeria, can you let them know that on every level, it's awful.

Rather that 'testing' things which may negatively impact users of the platform, would it not be a better idea to either contact people directly asking for their thoughts, or have a dedicated section on the Forum where these ideas are 'floated' to get some feedback?

Everyone wants the site to be successful, so why are you not using your biggest resource, its clients and freelancers, to try and help you with new initiatives?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wes C Member Since: May 3, 2019
20 of 29

Valeria - I agree with all the others posting here that this is not needed and doesn't seem to be well thought out. The potential for confusion is incredibly high.

If UW is going to implement a nudge like this, the email needs to be very clear that it was automatically generated without any input or request from the client so that it's not confused with an actual client request for UW to reach out to a non-responsive freelancer.

As an added bonus, it could include something like "ignore this" in the subject line, so we can easily filter it out.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS