cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you ever greet a client in their own language? Corny or thoughtful?

Highlighted
Zaair H Member Since: Sep 29, 2017
1 of 6

I do at times, but I'm not sure this comes across as wanting to reach out and put someone at ease, or as a cheap ploy to ingratiate myself. 

It's not like I pretend to know the language, but I often catch myself wanting to write "Bonjour" or "Guten Morgen" or some such. It's fun to employ these tiny little bits of other languages - since we end up writing a lot of proposals, it's a nice change of pace. But of course, if people find it annoying, I shouldn't. 

What do you guys think?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wassim T Member Since: May 29, 2015
2 of 6

I think how this is perceived differs from person to person. For me personally, I would enjoy someone greeting me in my own language and continuing the conversation. I don't think it's a bad practice as long as you're not overdoing it.

A good habit I generally follow is to greet my clients the same way they greet me. This has a similar effect to mimicking someone's posture & movements in body language.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
3 of 6

Since most of the proposals I receive are boilerplate, a Bonjour would definitely catch my attention, because it would mean that since the FLer knows I'm from Paris, they at least had a look at the job post. Which is not always the case.

But then, if the rest of the proposal is just a template, the joy wouldn't last long...

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Zaair H Member Since: Sep 29, 2017
4 of 6

To be honest, I wasn't really thinking about that but that's a great point. I do sometimes mention the city ( "how's the weather down in San Antonio, supposed to be beautiful this time of year" etc.) simply because I like making small talk and this is a quick way to do it that doesn't feel unnatural - after all, it's right there on the post. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
5 of 6

@Zaair H wrote:

To be honest, I wasn't really thinking about that but that's a great point. I do sometimes mention the city ( "how's the weather down in San Antonio, supposed to be beautiful this time of year" etc.) simply because I like making small talk and this is a quick way to do it that doesn't feel unnatural - after all, it's right there on the post.

Don't waste time on small talk at that point. I would only do it if the client was from my hometown.

If I see a client is from Germany, I write my proposal in German and English. Since I live in Norway and do not have a German name it is a door openeer for me.

Another thing I do is read the feedback left by other freelancers, you might find out the name of the client.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Aron H Member Since: Mar 29, 2017
6 of 6

i don't waste time on such stuff, most times i am not even saying "hello".

They receive 50 other proposals with "hi" "heys" and "hello".

At once i create the impression they will receive when working with me: straight to the point and not wasting time on stuff nobody needs.

Most of my proposals are 3-4 sentences.

The clients that want to have a chat about the climate and how things are going well in my country, what stuff i like and what I think about band XYZ will be turned down by a missing greeting immediately.

In return i receive clients that understand that time is money.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS