🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Do you know anybody by the name **
Page options
1cfcdb9d
Community Member

Do you know anybody by the name **

I've applied for this job posting: **Edited for Community Guidelines**

He/She messaged me to text them in telegram, I have a bad gut about the deal with her **Edited for Community Guidelines**

this is her ID on telegram: **Edited for Community Guidelines**

I googled her image and found this person on Twitter: **Edited for Community Guidelines**
She's claiming to represent smart recruiters and her bio is Project Manager, she sent us an NDA for us to sign too, I'll attach the file too.

She's asking for the video not to be watermarked and do the payment after the delivery while there's no trust, she also threatens to cancel the deal if we take too much time of her
I've sent a message to the Twitter account there has been no response yet!

Asking for advice and information and your pov on this!

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It's all fantasy, fiction, made up. Not real. It is a halfway attempt to appear legitimate. None of it matters.

The second a client says off-platform, politely tell them it violates the Terms of Service and offer to chat through Upwork. If they resist - drop them. You have to protect yourself. No one, including Upwork, has your back.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
pgiambalvo
Community Member

Scam

any thoughts on the attachment and the signature?

It's all fake, just to convince you it's a legitimate job. They often produce contracts, non-disclosure agreements, etc., to make it look legit. 

It's all fantasy, fiction, made up. Not real. It is a halfway attempt to appear legitimate. None of it matters.

The second a client says off-platform, politely tell them it violates the Terms of Service and offer to chat through Upwork. If they resist - drop them. You have to protect yourself. No one, including Upwork, has your back.

roberty1y
Community Member

There is no "**Edited for Community Guidelines**". This is a scam. They're going to say you have to pay a fee before you start the job. Once you do that, you'll never hear from them again.

You shouldn't have contacted them outside of Upwork without a contract in place. You could have your account suspended for that.

There has been no fee, the Project they are giving to us is a video ad for **Edited for Community Guidelines**
they've also rejected our to make the contract on Upwork due to their so-called "Company regulations"

So they're saying the contract won't be with Upwork? That alone could get your account terminated if you went through with it. Maybe it's a different type of scam, but there's something wrong, for sure.

thank you for your advice, very helpful!

It could also be that they want you to work for them and they don't intend to pay, hence the plan to go off Upwork. 

You should read this before you go any further, it will prepare you for these situations:

Top Red Flags for Scams: From Community Membe... - Upwork Community

The company at that link seems to be legit, but that's always the way. They take the name of a real company and say they're working for it. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Do you know anybody by the name Mrs. Gabriella Wilson?"

That is not how this works.

And this an affront to all the honest, good Mrs. Gabriella Wilsons out there.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Why are you talking to people on telegram? You are seriously risking your account.

You can't come to the forum inquiring about a specific client. You need to aquire the skill of vetting clients yourself. First step: Stay on upwork. Even discussing payment outside of upwork can get you suspended, on top of the telegram problem. 

Thank you for your concern!
our idea was to negotiate and do the requirement gathering upon their request and then head back to Upwork for the official discussion. but since we've been seeing resistance in every aspect possible, we got a little suspicious and decided to ask for advice on the forum to hear different members' advice.

That was a terrible idea. I hope you know that now and will never do it again. 

With due respect,  "out of Upwork, right into the scam". That's what EVERY freelancer should remember.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members