cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you sign contracts with clients? Do you use work for your portfolio?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Karen K Member Since: Mar 5, 2017
1 of 5

Hi! Curious to know whether folks here sign contracts with Upwork clients.

I have clients on and off of Upwork, and I'm in the process of developing a contract for non-Upwork clients. I like the idea of using the same onboarding process for all clients, but I'm curious if it's redundant given the protections inherent in working on this platform. Thoughts?

Also, using a contract would allow me to clarify whether they're ok with me using work product for my portfolio. Do you do this? Do you ask first?

Thanks for your feedback, folks! To fellow Canadians, enjoy your long weekend Smiley Happy

Karen

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 5

Karen, personally I do not because virtually all my clients are in different countries and the chance of enforcing a contract within one's own jurisdiction is limited at best, prohibitively expensive at worst. Outside that jurisdiction it is near nil.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 5

Additional contracts are pretty much meaningless to me.

My own professional standards and practices are already very client-friendly and exceed anything that clients might send me.

But if clients want to send me contracts, I read them and sign them. It doesn't bother me to sign a contract saying I'll do what I would do anyway. So, yes, if signing a contract puts me into a position where I can begin earning money from a client, then I sign the additional contract.

As a client, I never waste my time with additional contracts. Upwork's default contract, which grants ownership of all intellectual property rights to any work I pay for, is all that I need.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
4 of 5

@Karen K wrote:

Hi! Curious to know whether folks here sign contracts with Upwork clients.

I have clients on and off of Upwork, and I'm in the process of developing a contract for non-Upwork clients. I like the idea of using the same onboarding process for all clients, but I'm curious if it's redundant given the protections inherent in working on this platform. Thoughts?

Also, using a contract would allow me to clarify whether they're ok with me using work product for my portfolio. Do you do this? Do you ask first?

Thanks for your feedback, folks! To fellow Canadians, enjoy your long weekend Smiley Happy

Karen

Yes. Particularly in data science they want an additional NDA. But, I read them over carefully to make sure there isn't a non-compete clause present.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
5 of 5

Karen,

Enforeceability is not the only value of a contract. If it's part of your process, go for it. If a client offers a contract that is unobjectionable, or concedes any points you strike before signing, why not?

A standard contract is probably the simplest way to request (general) portfolio permissions for client work, which is a particular area where you must override Upwork's standard contract to do so. Of course, there's no reason not to concede graciously if the client refuses this traditional courtesy.

Best,

Michael

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS