🐈 Community
herisetiawan

Do you think 10% fees for a refund is a good idea?

Hi, guys.

I've just experienced a rather shocking moment when I realized Upwork charges me another 10% fees for a refund.

I would really like to hear an official statement from Upwork about why the high charge over a refund, and also from you guys, do you think this is a fair amount?

Also, if Upwork sees this thread to be a harmful one, I'd be okay to have it closed.

Cheers.

Update:

Thanks to Jennifer for pointing out the correct scenario. So, it is indeed a false alarm on my side, the current refund scheme never harms us in any way for freelancers, Upwork has it working great as expected.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lysis10

No, they don't. Their transaction sheet is difficult to read especially if you had a credit in your account. I just had a refund, and I'm looking at mine now. They credit the client but leave the original credit to your account. They credit the client before you have a payout, so you're actually in the negative for a time. So, they credit back to the client, and then they credit you minus the 10%.

It's a confusing thing to read, I know, but if you look at it with crossed eyes or something, it works out.

It reads like this:

1. Deduct the full amount from your account.

2. Credit you back the 10%

3. Credit you the full amount

4. Deduct the 10%.

You come out even.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
lysis10

No, they don't. Their transaction sheet is difficult to read especially if you had a credit in your account. I just had a refund, and I'm looking at mine now. They credit the client but leave the original credit to your account. They credit the client before you have a payout, so you're actually in the negative for a time. So, they credit back to the client, and then they credit you minus the 10%.

It's a confusing thing to read, I know, but if you look at it with crossed eyes or something, it works out.

It reads like this:

1. Deduct the full amount from your account.

2. Credit you back the 10%

3. Credit you the full amount

4. Deduct the 10%.

You come out even.

Learning Paths