🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Do you think Upwork should set the minimum pr...
Page options
vladimir-dim
Community Member

Do you think Upwork should set the minimum price for different products and services? (2)

Hello community! Screenshot attached shows a new norm on the platfrom, I haven't applied for any projects in a while because the value of (potential) work is simply too low. This screenshot shows a common scene - people expecting someone (a graphic design professional?) to do the work for less than $20. I've declined several invitations I received over the past few weeks because the proposed budget was $15-20 for packaging design projects. 

I believe the solution could be setting a minimum price for packaging design to $XXX-$XXXX so the clients willing to pay proper amount of money for a proper amount of knowledge and work would be in a position to choose between freelancers who can deliver a quality product. Also, that would make the platform competitive in offering quality, like some other platforms that have introduced similar pricing structure in the past.

If this trend continues - there's gonna be no quality design on Upwork. 

Maybe I missed something, I'd like to hear your thoughts.  Thanks!

I'm re-starting this topic as someone (probably intentionally) tried to spam it to nonsense.

12 REPLIES 12
65cda575
Community Member

You set Price thata you think Right

vladimir-dim
Community Member

w

vladimir-dim
Community Member

y

It means how long you have been active in the community forum.

vladimir-dim
Community Member

W

27976d7e
Community Member

I always said the USA, and Eurpean, client should have a minimum limit. But remember currency values of differ all over the world. Inflationary pressures are different from nation to nation. That's the problem with online freelancing, it's very much a level playing field.  

lysis10
Community Member

No. I hate that they make suggestions on price too. That makes me rage too. Like how about you let the people who know how this works determine pricing instead of basing it on the low-tier average that plagues the site.

spectralua
Community Member

Access is open to anyone. Freelancers with no experience and no skills charge a low price. The client sees 100 offers of $5 and thinks that he will give $5 for this job. Upwork gets one dollars from each of these 100. Everyone is happy and no matter that no one does the work, this pile of garbage suits everyone. I see that this is a new business model of the platform.

Ps How do you keep 100 JSS with many bad reviews?

n_pudikova
Community Member

This is why you are FREE to establish your own rates, Vladimir.  

m_terrazas
Community Member

Vladimir D wrote:

Hello community! Screenshot attached shows a new norm on the platfrom, I haven't applied for any projects in a while because the value of (potential) work is simply too low. This screenshot shows a common scene - people expecting someone (a graphic design professional?) to do the work for less than $20. I've declined several invitations I received over the past few weeks because the proposed budget was $15-20 for packaging design projects. 

I believe the solution could be setting a minimum price for packaging design to $XXX-$XXXX so the clients willing to pay proper amount of money for a proper amount of knowledge and work would be in a position to choose between freelancers who can deliver a quality product. Also, that would make the platform competitive in offering quality, like some other platforms that have introduced similar pricing structure in the past.

If this trend continues - there's gonna be no quality design on Upwork. 

Maybe I missed something, I'd like to hear your thoughts.  Thanks!

I'm re-starting this topic as someone (probably intentionally) tried to spam it to nonsense.

No. I set the price for my work. Upwork intrudes on our lives enought.
By the way, what you said to Aditya seems disrespectful to me.

First, you don't know what the information you're throwing at him means (it's the date he joined the forum)
We don't know who you're replying to, it's easy just click "reply", but if you're saying the "bot" thing for him, really, who do you think you are?

And finally, he is right, you decide your price. If you're not from one of the super countries that seem to believe that everything should be measured at their scale, those prices may be enough for them.

vladimir-dim
Community Member

First of all - I would like to apologize to everyone who got offended by my rhetorics, manners and the topic  I posted as well. 

Also -  I'd like to thank everyone who replied and expressed their opinions and emotions in this thread.

Looking back at the moment I started it - it was a mistake because I felt bad about the low value of projects posted on the platform but everybody seem to be OK with it, so I'll just leave it as it is. 

wlyonsatl
Community Member

No, the market and interactions of freelancers and potential clients should be the only basis for project pricing.

Every industry has seen competition from lower-cost countries forcing higher-cost countries to either exit certain industries (textiles, shoes, etc.) or manufacture in lower-cost countries. Forcing higher pricing on Upwork clients would only mean they'd go to other platforms or resources to find lower-cost providers.

But industries where build quality, styling, etc. matter, providers in higher-cost countries can continue to do well (think BMW, Mercedes. etc.). Freelancing is not different.

Freelancers whose services are considered to be near-commodities (clients think one freelancer's work is likely to be as good as any other freelancer's work) are always going to struggle to make a living freelancing due to strong downward pressure on their pricing of their services.

Distinguish yourself through better communication, responsiveness, or whatever makes a difference to potential clients and you'll have some pricing power. But for Upwork to set minimum prices is not the answer.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members