Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Job Success Score REALLY matter?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Andy D Member Since: Feb 19, 2016
1 of 12

Do Clients REALLY pay that much attention to Job Success score? Because it is so random, and takes in so many factors outside of our control, and Clients can hold us hostage for free work by threatening lowering our score - is it safe to ignore this score and just focus on our jobs?

JSS is based on so much client behavior and contract terms that is outside of our control.  

What is your experience, anyone with a lower than 80% score still getting work?  

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Kieran C Member Since: Aug 21, 2015
2 of 12

I am not a client, but I am guessing they most certainly do pay attention.

Clients are not actively made aware of any of the factors you've listed. 

Even the name, Job Success, belies its actual function. It is not a measure of success; it is a measure of performance. 'Success' is unfortunately associated with 'completion'. Whilst to a freelancer a 90% score could be considered high, to a new client the literal understanding would be that 90% of the freelancer's jobs have been successfully completed, and 10% have not.  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Chris M Member Since: May 6, 2015
3 of 12

There's another very long thread about JSS with many many comments from freelancers here - https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Upwork-get-rid-of-Job-Success-rate/m-p/81714#U81714

I would suggest that you see if you can get your post moved to the Clients Discussions section instead of freelancers by a moderator. Then you would get more responses from Clients theoretically.

Don't duplicate this thread on Clients though - that would violate the community guidelines.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
4 of 12

Just based on speculation from my own experience, a lower JSS seemed to reduce the number of interviews I received. However, I think I had already acquired one solid ongoing client by the time I received my first JSS so it wasn't quite as painful as it would have been otherwise. Even when the score was around high 70's I think I recall still getting jobs. I surmise that the difference was that I only won jobs from clients who actually looked at my portfolio. I probably spent a little more effort customizing my proposals when my score was lower to demonstrate my ability and list specifically how I would benefit the client. 

So the lower score made marketing more difficult, but not impossible. Now- I have a set of steady clients so the JSS really doesn't matter. I don't think anyone I'm working with is going to fire me if it drops. Although maybe it would make a client hesitate to open a new contract with me. I hope I don't have to find out!

I think the primary effect of the JSS to me has been that I value my ongoing contract clients highly and I don't take jobs with clients who give low ratings. I also chose to issue one refund rather than have that client's job on my "permanent record." It was a job I should have walked away from to begin with as I was a bad personality match for the client. Learn to trust your instincts. ; )

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
5 of 12

I know this is old stuff, but it never ceases to baffle me. 

I went back to Jeff Chen's original article on the JSS, once more. The graphic has been amended, no? The grey bit is new.

Screen Shot 2016-03-05 at 20.48.07.png

"Contracts without activity can lower your score

Sometimes contracts start, but due to the client or freelancer, no activity takes place. After a reasonable period of time, these contracts impact your score. Ending these contracts quickly or requesting the client close the contract as soon as possible can prevent this situation.

A pattern of contracts that end without feedback can reduce your score

When it happens occasionally, your score is not impacted by contracts ending without feedback. But when this occurs in excess for a freelancer, it is flagged and counted against your score. Requesting that the client close the contract and leave feedback can prevent this situation. Contracts paused due to poor client behavior are not considered in your score."

Let's be clear on this: Such a pattern arises, when providers end an undefinded number of contracts due to clients having become unresponsive. It is a direct result of freelancers closing contractto preventhe latter from becominthe above mentioned contracts withouactivity. There is no other reason for sensible providers to close oua contract themselves, other than knowing that leaving it open will hurtheir JSS.

The one question that has never been answered is: WHY is it like this?

Could somebody please explain the reasoning behind this 'strategy', just once?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
6 of 12

Contracts without activity can lower your score

Sometimes contracts start, but due to the client or freelancer, no activity takes place. After a reasonable period of time, these contracts impact your score. Ending these contracts quickly or requesting the client close the contract as soon as possible can prevent this situation.

I have always taken this to mean contracts that are opened but no work is ever done, not longterm contracts that have gone dormant.  Hope I'm right!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
7 of 12

@Mary W wrote:

[…] I have always taken this to mean contracts that are opened but no work is ever done, not longterm contracts that have gone dormant.  […]

Me too.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Barbara W Member Since: Sep 10, 2015
8 of 12

@Olga Q wrote:

@Mary W wrote:

[…] I have always taken this to mean contracts that are opened but no work is ever done, not longterm contracts that have gone dormant.  […]

Me too.

It would be great if that was the case - but I think I've heard people who think it's the latter... 

- Barbara Herrera -
Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
9 of 12

Valeria and other mods have confirmed, more than once, that idle (inactive) contracts hurt the JSS. That includes those with no activity at all and those, which you haven't worked on for a while. 

If they were long-term, for some time the positive effect of this on the JSS might offset the negative effect of them having become dormant. 

This applies to both fixed-price and hourly contracts. (Until last week I thought it was OK to leave hourly contracts open etc. - seems I was wrong).

Bildschirmfoto 2016-03-06 um 18.20.36.png

Highlighted
Jefferson B Member Since: Feb 8, 2019
10 of 12

Hi,

Thank you for the enlightenment.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS