🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Does UpWork charge a 20% fee on all bonus pay...
Page options
isy777
Community Member

Does UpWork charge a 20% fee on all bonus payments, regardless of earnings per contract?

I have a client who'd like to send me a bonus payment. Out contract has surpassed 10k in earnings, so I am currently charged 5% for all my earnings from that contract. If he was to send me a bonus, would I be charged a 5% or 20% fee for it? Thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Isidora C wrote:

I have a client who'd like to send me a bonus payment. Out contract has surpassed 10k in earnings, so I am currently charged 10% for all my earnings from that contract. If he was to send me a bonus, would I be charged a 10% or 20% fee for it? Thanks!

If your client has paid you more than $ 10k, your fee is 5% unless it's an Enterprise client, and the bonus would be at 5% too.

If your fees are currently 10%, then the bonus will be, too.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Member

Isidora C wrote:

I have a client who'd like to send me a bonus payment. Out contract has surpassed 10k in earnings, so I am currently charged 10% for all my earnings from that contract. If he was to send me a bonus, would I be charged a 10% or 20% fee for it? Thanks!

If your client has paid you more than $ 10k, your fee is 5% unless it's an Enterprise client, and the bonus would be at 5% too.

If your fees are currently 10%, then the bonus will be, too.

isy777
Community Member

You're right, I am charged 5%, I corrected the post. Thanks a lot for your response!

So if you haven't crossed the 20% shelf and my client sent a bonus, Upwork will take that 20%?  Or is this going to add to the cummalitive amount of the milestone contract?  Therefore the stepped 20%, 10% and 5% will be the base on the entire contract?

Nothing is based on "the entire contract."

Fees are based on how much you have earned with a specific client.

Contracts and budgets are irrelevant in the calculation.

Trying to understand/clarify your statement.  Are you saying that if I do two different projects with a given client, the Upwork stepped fee is not restarted back at 0 for the second project even if a new contract is created instead of adding a new milestone to the original contract?

re: "Trying to understand/clarify your statement. Are you saying that if I do two different projects with a given client, the Upwork stepped fee is not restarted back at 0 for the second project even if a new contract is created instead of adding a new milestone to the original contract?"

Contracts don't matter.

Total pay with a single client is what matters.

So... Yes, that is what I am saying.

If you do two different projects with a given client, or if you do one contract, or if you do 20 contracts, it doesn't matter.

Upwork counts the cumulative pay.

Thank you for the clarification.

Re: "If you do two different projects with a given client, or if you do one contract, or if you do 20 contracts, it doesn't matter." Thank you for sharing this information. Is the info available anywhere in the website, or FAQs? I have been looking but I can not find anything. I you could share a link this would be great. Thanks! 🙂
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members