🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Does UpWork time tracker works with M1 macboo...
Page options
suronjit_kumar
Community Member

Does UpWork time tracker works with M1 macbooks

I am considering to buy the new M1 Macbook Pro, anyone knows if UpWork time tracker is going to work with Apple silicon?
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
metoinside
Community Member

Hello everyone,

Here you can see the screenshot of it. It works perfectly with new M1 devices

https://twitter.com/metoinside/status/1336288901405827073?s=20

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35
JoanneP

Hi Suronjit,

The app is available for recent versions of Windows, Mac, and Linux. For more information, please check this help article

~ Joanne
Upwork

I have the same question and your reply does not give the exact answer. So let me re-phrase the question:

"Is the last version upwork tracker tested to work on M1 Macbooks"

Hi Kumar,

I checked with our team and while the Upwork Desktop App isn't currently supported for M1 Macbooks, we expect to start supporting it in the near future.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Thanks a lot Aleksandar for your reply. I have 2 doubts though:

1. When you say "Upwork Desktop App isn't currently supported for M1 Macbooks", was the tracker tested on any M1Macbooks and found to be not working or the testing is still pending and it may work fine with Rosetta 2 however you cannot confirm it yet?

2. Do we have any timeline for starting to supporting the M1 macbooks?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kumar,

Current version of Upwork Desktop App hasn't been tested with M1 Macbooks yet. Our engineers are working on a new version that will be tested with M1 Macbooks but we can't provide exact timeline for when that would be and when it will be released.

~ Valeria
Upwork

One more person in the queue again, I have M1 MacBook Air and waiting Upwork Time Tracker to be compatible with it

Hey Metin,

So did you test the current upwork tracker with macbook m1 air? Did it not work over Rosetta 2? 

Hey Metin, have you tried to run the tracker with Rosetta 2.0?

Valeria K wrote:

Kumar,

Current version of Upwork Desktop App hasn't been tested with M1 Macbooks yet. 

It works absolutely perfect on M1 macs. 

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Does Upwork work well with Macbook air M1 with updated Monterey OS? Mine keeps crashing after the update hope you can help. Thank you

Hi Karla,

Could you please try the steps shared in this help article? Please let us know if you need further assistance. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Having the same issue. Hours are not logged accurately.

Hi Renz,

Could you please try the troubleshooting tips shared in this help article?  If the issue persists, please report it following the ’’How do I report a problem?’’ section of the previously shared troubleshooting guide, and our team will assist you directly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi Aleksandar, current upwork tracker is not working on my macbook air with OS Monterey 12.2. Any idea why is this happening? Cant log in also after reinstalling my upwork tracker.

When I hit on next per my attached screenshot, nothing happens. 

Thanks!

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Oliver, 

Could you please ensure that you only have one Upwork Desktop App installed in your account? Please also check the section "How to completely delete the Upwork Desktop App's cache" in this article to ensure that you're removing all of Upwork's cache on your machine when uninstalling it. Once done, please re-install the app to see if the issue persists. 

~ Avery
Upwork
metoinside
Community Member

Hello everyone,

Here you can see the screenshot of it. It works perfectly with new M1 devices

https://twitter.com/metoinside/status/1336288901405827073?s=20

Thanks Metin 

This is not working on Big Sur Beta 11.1 (20C5061b)

Application hangs and when force quit says:

Internal Upwork error Upwork has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Would you like to restart?

This is an Apple Mac Mini DTK

Maybe it's happening because of the beta version you are using, I am using 11.0.1 MacOs Big Sur and time tracker is working completely fine 

I’ll check. It works on my M1 MBA fine which is on retail Big Sur

It's failing on my retail M1. It's requiring Rosetta and gets some way. The time tracker pannel appears to function, but the message pannel hangs forever awaiting content, until utlimately the OS wants to kill it and eventually you relent. I have a normal amount of message history going back over a year. The message pannel is complex and involves multiple technologies, so problems there under Rosetta are not surprising.

kenstone
Community Member

Will there ever be support for Ubuntu ARM64?

You asked about Ubuntu ARM. I've no knowledge of what UpWork are doing internally, but the x86 Ubuntu client is new and works very well. Electron will build for Linux ARM, but only on a Linux ARM machine (You can't cross develop). They will have other underlying technologies requiring other libraries which may not be available for Linux ARM, but at least the Electron element is possible. If the user base justifies the work is questionable but it would allow the time tracker to be used on the Pi which would have potential. There is also value to the time tracker even without messaging.

359513c6
Community Member

It still doesn't work 100% on my M1 Macbook Air.

It tracks time, but the screenshot tool only captures the Upwork time tracker, not the active window.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Isabella, 

Could you please check if the steps listed in this help article resolves your issue? Let us know if it doesn't work so that we can get the team to investigate it further.

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi Avery,

I checked the article and it doesn't really help. Is there something else we can try?

The tracking app takes screenshots of a "blank" screen without showing the browser or any other program. 

Thank you,

Tanja

Hi Tanja,

One of our team members already reached out to you directly via this support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hello, Upwork!

I have already fixed the settings. Time tracker is working now.

Thank you.

Isabella

Hi. I have this same problem. It's taking screenshots but the page is blank. I downloaded the later Upwork tracker and still not working. I'm using Macbook Air M1 2020. 

Edit: Please disregard this. All good now! I just enabled the Upwork app from Screen Recording in settings. : )

What settings did you fix? Thanks in advance for your help. 

robertrosenthal
Community Member

On my brand spanking new MacBook Air, I have the most recent Big Sur version (11.6) running on the M1 chip, and I can't get the Upwork Time Tracker to load. I wonder if later versions of Big Sur are contributing to t the problem.

I am using latest version Mac m1 without any problem, and I am using tracker for more than one year without any problem. Please check accessibility setting and other bug fixing information available on Google and on this forum, I think you will find a solution for your problem.

Suronjit K: Thank you for that information. I tried changing settings in Accessibilility to no avail. I'm not sure what to do in Google, but it looks like you have a lot of expertise in that area. **Edited for community guidelines**

Hi Robert,

I apologize for the trouble this caused. I’ll go ahead and follow up with the team handling your case and you can expect to receive an update on your ticket directly.

Thank you for your patience.

~ Bojan
Upwork
mikiyas_dev
Community Member

Yep it's supported on Apple Silicon (M1/M2)

screenshot is from M2 Macbook Air

mikiyas_dev_1-1688982507018.png

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths