🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Does Upwork approve Academic Writing Tutors?
Page options
hunter1023
Community Member

Does Upwork approve Academic Writing Tutors?

Greetings. I didn't see academic writing on the list of services to offer. I would like to assist college students develop professional writing skills. Is this within Upwork's scope of services?

10 REPLIES 10
JoanneP

Hi Michael,

Thanks for reaching out. The categories available can be found here. You might also want to check article 4.1. Prohibited Site Uses of Upwork TOS

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thank you for responding! Writing-tutoring is listed on the category link you provided, but it's not listed when I choose main service when I set up my profile? Please let me know what you think. Thanks again.

Hi Michael,

Feel free to select the category that is closest to your skills. Once you're on your profile section you will be able to include more details in the Overview section about your experience and skills. However, thank you for your feedback I will share it with our team.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you for clarifying. Are English Academic Tutors not in the ,mainstream of services that Upwork typically hosts?

Michael R wrote:

Thank you for clarifying. Are English Academic Tutors not in the ,mainstream of services that Upwork typically hosts?

Writing Tutoring is a specialty you can choose when setting up a specialized profile. When used in the sense of helping people learn to write, it's fine here, and I see a lot of profiles in that category on the freelancer search. When it's used as a euphemism for "here, let me write your college essay for you", it's not allowed under the TOS.

Michael R wrote:

It depends what form of tutoring or academic writing you have in mind.  In 4.1. Prohibited Site Uses of Upwork TOS that  Joanne-Marie suggested you read, has this:

'The following are examples of uses that are prohibited on the Site or when using the Site Services:

[...]

• would violate (a) Upwork’s Terms of Service, (b) the terms of service of another website or any similar contractual obligations, or (c) the academic policies of any educational institution;"

So 'essay writing', for example,  or doing other forms of course work for students  is a violation not only of Upwork's terms of service, but also of every self-respecting academic body in the world, and it certainly calls into question the integrity of anyone who offers this type of service. 

Of course. When I use the term, "Essay Writing", I really mean to say, (assistance with) "Essay Writing." I'll be sure to be more precise, as I appreciate the importance of making this distinction clearly.

But I'm still not confident that Upwork is the right place for me to solicit my tutoring services...meaning that people mainly go to Upwork to find people to do work for them, rather than just providing assistance in getting that work completed. I've actually used upwork in the past for that very purpose. I simply did not have the time to complete grant applications myself.

Am I in the ballpark!

Michael R wrote:

But I'm still not confident that Upwork is the right place for me to solicit my tutoring services...meaning that people mainly go to Upwork to find people to do work for them, rather than just providing assistance in getting that work completed. I've actually used upwork in the past for that very purpose. I simply did not have the time to complete grant applications myself.

I suggest you search the job listings for the keywords that match your services, and see what comes up. Then search the freelancer listings under writing tutoring and see how successful people are in getting jobs that meet what you're talking about.

My gut feeling is that most of the inquiries you'll get will be from people wanting you to do their homework, but I may be wrong.

Searching the job listings for the keywords that match my services is a great idea!

Thank you.

Michael R wrote:

Of course. When I use the term, "Essay Writing", I really mean to say, (assistance with) "Essay Writing." I'll be sure to be more precise, as I appreciate the importance of making this distinction clearly.

Am I in the ballpark!

Hi Michael, I don't know about essay writing but in my field, web development, I see every now and then posts of people looking for mentors, tutoring, teachers or simply asking for help understanding one particular thing. Myself I have done a couple of jobs like this.

Most job postings are looking for someone to do the job, but then again most jobs are also underpaid. Quantity is not all that matters. Also offer and demand may go close together. If someone looks for A in Upwork and doesn't find any freelancer offering that service, they may not try again. If they do, they may try again or recommend it to someone else and there will be more jobs requiring that service.

You do have to keep on eye on the feed, as jobs may come and go pretty fast sometimes and an old job posting has much fewer chances of ending up in a contract.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths