🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Does Upwork verify the identity of the client...
Page options
deborah-ponzio
Community Member

Does Upwork verify the identity of the clients?

Hello, for a number of red flags in communication, I came to suspect that a prospective client who has invited me to a job is a fake. I suspect that the photo, the name, and the person I am communicating with do not belong to the same person.  I cannot flag any inappropriate request or behaviour from his/their part, but after talking to him on Upwork's Zoom (he avoided the video) I developed this distinct impression and, having been around for a while, I tend to trust my instinct.

My identity as freelancer has been verified, I wonder if the same happens with clients? Has this person been seen/interviewed on video, have his documents been checked?

I would appreciate your thoughts.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tlbp
Community Member

Clients aren't vetted like freelancers. The person could be fake. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Deborah,

While we do take steps to verify that clients who join Upwork are who they say they are and take action when we learn a user is not following our Terms of Service, we are not able to guarantee that the information a client provides in their post is true or accurate. Please remember you are not obligated to accept a project with a client you don’t feel comfortable with. You should take any steps you feel are appropriate to vet your clients and their projects before agreeing to a contract. Based on discussions with freelancers, we do find that feedback given on a client’s account can be helpful in vetting a client. 

Additionally, you can always report any suspicious activity and share the evidence so that the team can investigate the report.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Dear Aleksandar, thank you. No inappropriate request so far, just a strange feeling. I will flag when anything tangibly suspicious arises. I just have the funny feeling that the identity of this client and the company is a fabrication. It is the first time that I speak with someone who: seems to repeat a script again and again, does not show his face, does not seem knowledgeable in his business, transforms the tasks when I ask pointed questions, collects multiple locations in the world during the pandemic (India, Singapore, Russia), does not ask me any questions before hiring, and still is willing to hire and spend money easily. He did not share his actual agenda. I will find an excuse and withdraw my proposal. 

tlbp
Community Member

Clients aren't vetted like freelancers. The person could be fake. 

I think that too! Thanks for clarifying that the verification process is not the same for freelancers and clients. I wonder why.

Deborah P wrote:

Has this person been seen/interviewed on video, have his documents been checked?

Mostly not. Only the payment method (if it says so on the job post.)

Thanks for clarifying that the verification process is not the same for freelancers and clients. I wonder why.

Because of the direction money flows.

Money flows from clients to Upwork.

Money flows from Upwork to freelancers.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members