🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Does a client that is new to upwork deserve t...
Page options
cebe4768
Community Member

Does a client that is new to upwork deserve the benefit of the doubt?

I recently worked with a client for a contract that involved data analysis. 

The client says they are new to the platform and they did not even know where to get the zoom call option etc, however he has employed more than 10 people already. 

I bid $150 for his job and he said looking at my skills he really wants me to help him but he only has $50 with a promise of a lot more jobs in future. I agreed to it on the premise that there is future jobs, the client is new and starting out and I needed the money.

When I returned the work to him he started nit picking on everything and I ended up doing far more than what was initially requested since I had a JSS of 100% at that time and did not want it to drop. 

Once he was happy and stopped nitpicking, the days went by with no payment. I proceeded to follow up on releasing the milestone and then he told me the marketing team will look into it. Upwork then paid me by default. I asked the client did he require anything else and he said for now it is okay. 

I closed the contract and gave negative reviews privately and publically because I felt that he got his end of the deal ASAP and he did not make any effort to ensure I got paid ASAP. 

Weeks later, he wanted me to do more work for him  and I declined it, but now based on his responses, I do not know if I should give him the benefit of the doubt or not. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

*** Should I give the client another chance? after negative feedback etc?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

It doesn't matter what the client "deserves".

What matters is that **YOU** deserve better than that client. You also want to avoid handing that client the opportunity to leave you revenge feedback.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

TL;dr - the client is cheap, difficult and tried to delay your payment. I'm surprised that you would even consider working with him again. And if you gave him a bad review, then haven't you burned your bridges already? Maybe he only wants to hire you to get back at you.

As an aside, I always wonder why clients think that saying, "Do this on the cheap and I'll give you more work" is a selling point? The only thing worse than working for a low price, is doing LOTS of work for a low price. 

Here's a tip for you: The next time a client says, "do this cheaply and I'll give you more work," turn it around on them and say, "Pay me my asking price and I'll give you a discount after we've done X number of projects/passed $X amount of payments."

petra_r
Community Member

It doesn't matter what the client "deserves".

What matters is that **YOU** deserve better than that client. You also want to avoid handing that client the opportunity to leave you revenge feedback.

jr-translation
Community Member

I wonder why the client should be interested to rehire you in first place.

She was open about the budget and you got paid according to the ToS. You accuse the client of betraying you and you lied in your account of the events.

I only realise now that upwork community guidlines do not allow me to post the message text that I had with the client. 

Why are you accusing me of lying on my account of events? These are the facts. After ending a contract with a client they are still able to contact you via message so what exactly am I lying about?

Keenan L wrote:

I only realise now that upwork community guidlines do not allow me to post the message text that I had with the client. 

Why are you accusing me of lying on my account of events? These are the facts. After ending a contract with a client they are still able to contact you via message so what exactly am I lying about?

Because you have one contract in your profile that matches the description and the client never interviewed more that 5 people and only hired 2. 

You accuse the client of not having "kept to her end of the bargain".  You got paid the agreed amount and she came back with a new offer.

Jennifer, you might have misread the entire post. I am talking about a guy as I have been saying 'he' all the time. 

The client you are referring to had a call with me where we agreed to $100 and when she sent through the first offer, it was $50. I rejected it and she asked me why and I told her we did not agree to $50 but $100. She then sent me a new offer for $100 with two milestones of $50 each. I ended up doing the work for the 'first draft' and she approved the milestone. 

I then asked her if she needs any changes on her document otherwise she can release the other milestone and there was radio silence after quite a long period. I ended up ending the contract and realised that she had taken me for a ride. 

She is the main reason I became more weary with clients that I pick because one cannot work for free. 

The guy I am talking about now did something similar and I was looking for objective opinion on whether he deserves a chance but I too feel he does not deserve a chance. 

Thumbs down for your response because you assumed without making sure and accusing me of lying without any facts is absurd. 

Never mind. 

Keenan L wrote:

Jennifer, you might have misread the entire post. I am talking about a guy as I have been saying 'he' all the time. 

The client you are referring to had a call with me where we agreed to $100 and when she sent through the first offer, it was $50. I rejected it and she asked me why and I told her we did not agree to $50 but $100. She then sent me a new offer for $100 with two milestones of $50 each. I ended up doing the work for the 'first draft' and she approved the milestone. 

I then asked her if she needs any changes on her document otherwise she can release the other milestone and there was radio silence after quite a long period. I ended up ending the contract and realised that she had taken me for a ride. 

She is the main reason I became more weary with clients that I pick because one cannot work for free. 

The guy I am talking about now did something similar and I was looking for objective opinion on whether he deserves a chance but I too feel he does not deserve a chance. 

Thumbs down for your response because you assumed without making sure and accusing me of lying without any facts is absurd. 

I used the information available in your original post and your profile. How many $50 contracts do you have in your work history where you left the client a negative feedback?

martina_plaschka
Community Member

It is a bit unclear from reading your post, but it seems your question is if you should work with the client again? Only you can decide. 

I really don't understand why: "I'm paying you little now, but there is a great possibility for more work later, for which I will also pay you little." is so appealing. Agreeing to that makes no sense, not short-term, not long-term, and not financially. 

I am new to upwork so I am still learning the streets in terms of what works and what does not work. 

I consider this might not pay well, but it may end up in a 5 Star review and since I am new, this will help me build credibility. 

As I am moving on, I am starting to be far more selective with who I chose to work for. 

I have decided that I will not work for this client again

Keenan L wrote:

I am new to upwork so I am still learning the streets in terms of what works and what does not work. 

I consider this might not pay well, but it may end up in a 5 Star review and since I am new, this will help me build credibility. 

As I am moving on, I am starting to be far more selective with who I chose to work for. 

I have decided that I will not work for this client again

Probably a good decision. There are a lot of stories here about cheap clients, and they never end well. (Maybe the ones that ended well are not reported on the forum). Your reasoning is: the client got my work really cheap, so he should be grateful, and therefore I will get a good review. The clients reasoning is: no matter how little I pay, I will still complain if I don't like something, after all the freelancer didn't have to agree to my offer. So there's the disconnect. 

re: “I have decided that I will not work for this client again”

That is a legitimate choice.

Here is the reality that clients face, and it is the same reality that employers face:

Quality freelancers and quality employees are a valuable resource. If you want to keep quality people, you need to treat them well. Because they have options. They don’t need to stick around.

Keenan L wrote:

....I consider this might not pay well, but it may end up in a 5 Star review and since I am new, this will help me build credibility. 

The low rates at which we accept work also speaks volumes to clients; it tells every subsequent prospect that we work cheap.

You are wise to realize that selectivity serves us well.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members