🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Does an escrow refund come from my account?
Page options
rowleyjames
Community Member

Does an escrow refund come from my account?

Hi, I need some clarification about how the escrow process works. I did a job for a client a few months ago, completed the project, we were both happy with it. They paid me the full amount we agreed on, but there's a remaining $70 in an escrow account. I think they paid some of my amount as a bonus? Now, they've requested an escrow refund. If I accept it, am I essentially giving back $70 of the total that they paid me? Or, is the refund going to come from a separate escrow account that isn't actually my money? 

Basically, am I being asked for a $70 refund of my money, or am I being asked to release funds that aren't actually mine? I don't mind if it's the latter, just need some clarification. Thanks! 

2 REPLIES 2
wescowley
Community Member

If it shows in the "In Escrow" bucket, then it hasn't been paid to you and it's not coming out of your money.

Inkedchrome_Vy9bjw6qOx_LI.jpg

JoanneP

Hi James,

If your client is ending a fixed-price contract and there are remaining funds in escrow that are no longer required for the project, they can request an escrow refund. I'd like to confirm that Wes is right. It is not going to be taken from your account. If you approve the refund request, the money is Escrow will be returned to the client. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members