🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Does anyone else find this condescending?
Page options
fe53a0f6
Community Member

Does anyone else find this condescending?

Hi all,

First time posting here, but wanted to post something to see what other freelancers think. Right up front, I love Upwork and what it's helped me to become. Still, it's far from perfect. 

I recently finished up a consultation project on the platform, and this is the notification I recieved:

Upwork condecending.PNG

I try not to be offended by things, but a message like this feels like I'm back in Kindergarten and Mrs. Wallingford is congratulating me on my most recent fingerpainting.

I GET that there are probably many workers who don't submit their work on time or otherwise act unprofessionally. Yet, is this really the type of atmosphere that Upwork wants to coalesce?

If Upwork truly wishes to rid themselves of the negative stigma of service providers like themselves (that is, that the majority of work completed is, well, sh*t) then I think it would go a long way to treat us more like professionals instead of almost acting surprised that we did a good job.

Again, I think Upwork is fantastic, for the most part, but this isn't the general vibe I get from most other professionals I speak with. 

Work completed at a high level before the deadline should be the norm. I think, possibly, that a repositioning of messaging and how freenlancers are communicated with could go a long way.

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous-User
Not applicable

It is all part of the new collaboration community thing Upwork is trying to promote, personally,  I agree with you.

Getting badges because you post in the community tells me you have too much time to waste., which frankly highlights bigger issues with Upwork than the issuing of kindergarten badges.

That's why I don't do projects!

Just kidding. Yes it seems that higher-ups think we get a sense of accomplishment from these gimmicks. I wonder if they have some shiny badges printed on their paychecks. 

I liked the confetti parade for ending a job, don't know why they took that away. Less badges, more confetti! Thank you. Please somebody share this with the team. 

I'm down with more confetti 🙂

"Getting badges because you post in the community" I didn't realize this was a thing!

But it is! Pro tip for extra points: accept your own answer as the solution!

Yay points! (*immediately accepts solution, wonders why points matter)

mudaganiyu
Community Member

What's condescending about giving you encouragement for exceeding your client's expectations? I think one should be happy at a compliment.

Not if it is a compliment for something that should be a given. That's like telling a surgeon: congrats, the patient survived!

I agree with you here. Not complaining for the postitivity, just questioning the intention behind it.

gcb2
Community Member

I wouldn't take it too personally.  He may have had contacts with others who didn't think of that, and their project deadline got ruined.

Who is he? This is an automated upwork message.

fe53a0f6
Community Member

I believe this was upwork sending this message. A message like this from a client would be fun!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members