🐈 Community
speedread

Does anyone else thing that going to 4-5 pages to put manual time is difficult?

I miss elance so much - you can't imagine? When you finish an hourly job -- you click in one place put your time, and it's done.

I've learned that I am too stupid, with my doctoral degree, and my 70 years on this earth to do the Upwork manual time. I've even had CS help me with it - the few times I've used it - and it doesn't take, and they say it will take days and when I check back - it's not these.

Besides, it's not on the job page - there is no job page. But when you are on the page and there is a link for putting in your time, there is never manual time showing there. You have to go to My Jobs (after finding out if it is a freelancer or agency job) that's two links, then my jobs, that's a third link, then go to the job, that's a fourth link, then click to log time, that's a fifth link, and if manual time is setup click there, that's a sixth link, put in your time, and maybe your done. But, it doesn't show up.

I've gotten into arguments with CS, and management because it doesn't show up.  I've had clients that say - I want to pay you NOW - but they don't get billing for a week and they don't want to sit and wait a week for a bill. And then it takes 3-4 weeks for the money to come to us.  Is this insane?  Keeping money for 1-2 weeks is fair but 3-4 weeks.

I believe this is an abuse of power, and there is a federal law against this in the US.  Actually there is two laws against it.  Does anyone else feel this is an impossible situation?

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter

re: "I believe this is an abuse of power, and there is a federal law against this in the US.  Actually there is two laws against it."

This is incorrect. Upwork is not abusing power nor is it in violation of federal law.

And adding manual time is easy. I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Sometimes if I realize I have been conversing with a client while not logging time using the time-tracker, I log into Upwork and add manual time without even thinking about it. It takes a few seconds to do so.

@Preston H wrote:

re: "I believe this is an abuse of power, and there is a federal law against this in the US.  Actually there is two laws against it."

This is incorrect. Upwork is not abusing power nor is it in violation of federal law.

Like many people in the forums, Dr. Jay seems to be confusing independent contractors with employees. That's surprising for someone running a successful business, but it appears to be happening, since there are federal regulations regarding frequency of payment for employees, but not independent contractors.

oquintela

Did your client allow you manual time? If he didn't, you won't be able to add manual time. Your contract should show this

Image 2016-05-18 at 3.50.22 PM (1).png

csjarmitage

I only use manual time entry.

1.  My Jobs

2. Work diary

3. Add manual hours

In my experience, manual time doesn't immediately show up in my reports.  I expect at least a 30 minute delay but I have waited up to 24 hours in the past.

versailles

Entering manual time probably could be made yet more easy, a lot on this site could, but I find it pretty straightforward as it is...

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

I always forget how to find the manual time icon or whatever to click. 

re: "I always forget how to find the manual time icon or whatever to click."

Then you're not using manual time very often. Which is how Upwork likes it.

Learning Paths