🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Does anyone face with issue about unknown...
Page options
aleksandra-r
Community Member

Does anyone face with issue about unknown device/ browser?

Hello,

I started getting notifications in August about attempts to log in to the UpWork account from an unknown device/ browser. I am logging in using one of my two laptops ( both recognized by UpWork a while ago) and I usually work from 2 locations (also recognized by UpWork). As far as I know, my IP addresses should be the same and I wasn't clearing my cookies. It happened 4-5 times in the last 30 days and it was not happening before.

Did anyone notice anything similar? Everything is sorted out after 2-factor verification, but I am worried about why this is happening at all and if it has any impact on my UpWork account.

Best regards,

Aleksandra

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NikolaS

Hi Aleksandra,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your concern with our team and one of our agents already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
spectralua
Community Member

It may be browser update, cookies lifetime expiration, system updates. But with warning received you need take care about checking whats happened.

NikolaS

Hi Aleksandra,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your concern with our team and one of our agents already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your ticket on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Hi Nikola,

Since I reported this, the system is asking me for a verification code each time I log in. Do you think it would be a good solution to enable a 2-step verification every time I log in to add an extra layer of security or it doesn't have anything to do with that?

Best regards,

Aleksandra

Hi Aleksandra,

AJ here stepping in for Nikola. We do recommend the users to enable this to have, as you said, an added layer of security. You can disable it as well, all according to your preference.

~ AJ
Upwork

Thanks for your response Annie, I will probably enable it.

aleksandra-r
Community Member

Thank you both for your answer, I checked the ticket and it seems everything is fine with my account, but I got that message again when I logged in this morning. It could be up to my Internet provider, as each time this happens I got a notification about an unknown location. It is a different location each time, but in the same country, so I hope it shouldn't be an issue.

Best regards,

Aleksandra

bilsim
Community Member

Do you use an Apple device? Apple is very stubborn with security checks, it may something to do with the device and Apple ID.

No, I am not using Apple. I am using the same device(s) for accessing the UpWork for 2 years now and this was not happening until August. I don't have any idea why it is happening, but since I reported this to UpWork, it started to happen every time I am logging in. Before that, it started happening in August and it happened 4-5 times.

I don't know if enabling 2-step verification would help with this. I am not sure why UpWork is not recognizing my device/location. I check "remember this device" each time I am logging in, I didn't clear my cookies recently, I am always using the same browser (Chrome), and I didn't change my location in the last few days. I am using the same network always to access the system, not accessing via private browsing mode or VPN.

eb873171
Community Member

I have the same issue. Every time I log in I get an email telling me it's a new login from an unknown device, even though it's the same login from the same device.

I see Biljana mentions this being an Apple problem, and I'm using a Macbook. I wish it could be fixed though. It's tiresome.

Hi Anthony,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here.

~ Arjay
Upwork

I have the same issue. Every time I log in, I receive the message.

It requires the password and secret word. I'm using Firefox.

Hi Jeanne,

We truly appreciate you reporting this here. Both your and Anthony's report has been escalated to the appropriate team for further review. They will surely look into this and work to address it if there's an issue that's causing them. We'll keep this thread updated with more information.

~ Arjay
Upwork

How long has this been going on? This happened to me some months back and lasted for two or three weeks. There seemed to be nothing I could do to stop it, but then it just went away.

Hi Jeanne and Anthony,

I'd like to follow up and share that the "unknown device or browser" notifications on a device that has been used may happen due to some plugins or extensions that you may have installed. They may be blocking some requests made from upwork.com pages.

Could you please check if you have some plugins or extensions that may be doing that?

~ Nikola
Upwork

I clear my browser when I close it. There are no plugins that would interfere, nor have any changed since the problem reappeared. Every time I log in, I get a message on the platform as well as one in my email.

Possibly: If you are using gmail, it's possible the 2-factor is turned on somewhere in the gmail settings. Try googling how to turn it off.

Thank you, but the problem lies in Upwork. I have tried different browsers with the same result. Unless I stay logged in, I receive the message every time I log in. It happened again this morning, just as it does every time I log in.

Jeanne H wrote:

I clear my browser when I close it. There are no plugins that would interfere, nor have any changed since the problem reappeared. Every time I log in, I get a message on the platform as well as one in my email.

Hi Jeanne,

If browsing data is cleared every time either by the user manually, by a plugin, extention or an anti-virus software, or if the browser is set to block the site from storing cookies entirely,  that may be the reason why the device isn't recognized at the next login. The information that allows a site to "remember" the device is stored in cookies. So clearing browsing data every time may be the reason why you get the prompt every time. 

Tiffany S. wrote:

How long has this been going on? This happened to me some months back and lasted for two or three weeks. There seemed to be nothing I could do to stop it, but then it just went away.

Tiffany, we did have a bug a few months ago that was causing this to happen and it sounds like you were affected. That bug was fixed back in October. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

I also have this issue and it is really annoying that I always need to log back and always get an email notifications about a new device. I am not using a new device.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths