cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone know how these Hourly Back Guarantee Contracts work?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
11 of 27
Hello Natasha, Thank you for reporting this. If you could send the details of this application to match-feedback@odesk.com, we will investigate why the freelancer with 1.8 stars was offered the money-back guarantee. Thanks again,
~ Valeria
Untitled
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
12 of 27
Hello Misty, I followed up with our team about your case and we are very sorry to hear about this situation. We do appreciate you letting us know about this case and it will be reviewed carefully. Although there have been few cases of client abuse of the program, we are not going to allow any. Please know, that in cases where clients request a refund on a Money-Back Guaranteed contract, oDesk will cover the refund and the freelancer will still be paid (assuming all policies were followed - which is almost always the case!). We are also glad to hear from your comments below that you are getting more work and have the opportunity for more earnings. We will be here to help as much as we can so hopefully it's not so stressful! Thank you,
~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
13 of 27
...but the main point is not about the money. A dodgy client can complain and get their refund, and inevitably leave bad feedback as part of their scam. It's the ability to harm the freelancer's reputation undeservedly that's the problem
Community Guru
Natasha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
14 of 27
[quote=Stephen B.]...but the main point is not about the money. A dodgy client can complain and get their refund, and inevitably leave bad feedback as part of their scam. It's the ability to harm the freelancer's reputation undeservedly that's the problem[/quote] This is what worries me, and it's what happened to Jon-Paul R. [quote=Jon-paul R.]I'm going to be quick about writing this, so please forgive the run on sentences. I just want to let everyone know, including oDesk, why this "Money back guaranteed" is a horrible idea. I just now found out about this "Money back guaranteed" implementation and it's now bringing to mind why I recently had a man hire me and then file a dispute.... For 4 years I've had a 5 star rating. A man wanted some PR done. He hired me, I did the 1st of 2 on the project, he said he liked the first when I showed it to him, I then did the 2nd and then all of a sudden he closed the contract and said they were worthless. To make a long story short, I easily won the dispute for a number of reasons, but the issue I couldn't figure out is why someone would hire me, knowing I provide excellent service, even seeing my past PR work as an example before hiring me, and then all of a sudden say my work was worthless (even after applauding the first). I am now nearly certain it's because of this "Money back guaranteed" program in which he hired me and then attempted to get his money back... In other words, free work. oDesk, please do something about this. Remove the program or make it known that there will be penalties for anyone that abuses the program. In addition, my rating should not suffer. I proves he was lying and that my work was as requested. Please drop his false 3 star rating. I now have a 4.99 Rating due to this problem......... Sincerely, Jon-Paul R.[/quote]
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Feb 20, 2009
15 of 27
I would love to have a 4.99 rating - LOL - anyway my last two contracts had the money back guarantee badge, ones finished with 5 stars the other in progress and they don't concern me at all. Was able to negotiate a higher rate on both. Choose your jobs wisely!
Community Guru
Natasha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
16 of 27
You are totally missing the point.
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
17 of 27
I haven't left feedback as yet because I know I have 14 days to do so, but I am worried about this hurting my credibility too. You can't be perfect all the time anyway, but I work my damn ass off to try to provide excellent service. Its all just very frustrating. I will definitely leave my side of the feedback and the reasoning too. I just hope this same type of scenario doesn't happen to other contractors over and over again. Something certainly needs to be done.
Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
18 of 27
It's a marketing exercise, pure and simple. From oDesk's point of view, it's all about 'conversions'; ie, converting people who are just thinking about spending cash into people who actually spend cash. "If people feel safer about reaching into their wallets then they are more likely to do so", the thinking goes. There's a certain percentage of people who are are going to think "Hey! Free work! All I have to do is bitch about it as soon as I have the deliverables". This is inevitably going to cost oDesk a few dollars and is inevitably going to take a few contractors down with it (because the bitching looks less convincing if you leave good feedback). Whether this is is paying off for oDesk (ie, the increased conversions are more than offsetting the cost of paying people back) remains to be seen...without figures we'll only be able to tell by whether they keep doing it or not. It increases the risk for contractors but there might be a payoff in the form of more clients and therefore more work. Time will tell. At least it's not completely bloody useless like the escrow feature: For honest clients it's more complication and not needed; for the other sort there's the "unlimited redo" get out of jail free card built into the very fabric of it.
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
19 of 27
Who owns the work if the freelancer got paid but the client didn't pay? This needs to be sorted.
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
20 of 27
However, I'm going to utilize it in my portfolio here at Odesk as copywriting for fitness businesses. I don't want it to just go to waste, and this client certainly has stated what they're planning on doing since they are obviously going to get a refund from Odesk. And then again, I don't know if they will or not because Odesk seems to see things in my favor. However, it is a guarantee thing though so I believe that they have to honor it, right?
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS