cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone make a living wage off freelancing?

hrsusan
Susan H Member Since: Jul 1, 2011
1 of 14
Was wondering if anyone makes enough to live on through oDesk. Web designers and IT people probably do, but others?
bronnyslav
Ace Contributor
Alexander N Member Since: Sep 14, 2013
2 of 14
Well, I'm IT person. Never got a job on my main specialization here. So I'm doing translations and creative writing instead. As for living wages, I don't really care - I'm officially employed and oDesk is just a source of additional income and self-entertainment for me.
ffonollera
Ace Contributor
Francisco F Member Since: Nov 13, 2010
3 of 14
I do data entry. I make more than enough to live on even for my whole family. My client pays me even if there's no task at hand as per our agreement. Trust between a freelancer and client is the key.
josephinex
Tatiana P Member Since: Apr 22, 2012
4 of 14
Don't compare prices in Philippines with those in the US and Europe. It's hard to make for a living even for programmers and developers because there are people who are dumping prices.
mistykeith
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
5 of 14
Those working rates in the Philippines and other parts of the world are not the same as Europe and the US. For the past two years I've done relatively well, but seriously...it is becoming very competitive with the low rates abounding and clients expecting ALL freelancers to work for them. That is not reality. People in the US can't work for $2.00 an hour. By the way, the minimum wage rate is expected to be voted by Congress for over $10.00 an hour in the US, just within the next few months. So, if that says anything about the living and working needs in the USA? The current $7.50 per hour in the South is poverty level. The rates in the North that are around $12.00 are poverty for that region of the USA. So, clearly the cost of living is extremely high, at least where I am. Of course, its been so long since the US had a minimum wage increase--no wonder the cost of living is really above and beyond many families means. I won't be one of those who says you can make ends meet on $2 or $3 an hour, regardless if other parts of the globe can. That doesn't pertain to me. That doesn't pertain to half of the world!! It is all about how bad you want it and how many hours you are willing to work too. Some people (myself at times) work 10 hours a day, and work on every other weekend (maybe more). However, contracts are getting harder to come by, for the reasons mentioned.
marciamalory
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
6 of 14
The cost of living in many European countries is much higher than in the US.
mistykeith
Community Guru
7 of 14
That's why I mentioned that the $2 and $3 an hour that another contractor mentioned to sustain their entire family is not even close to what the majority of workers require just to make ends meet from month to month. If I had to work at that low an amount I'd have absolutely no money for groceries; let alone medical, insurance, and half of my other bills. Just imagine $2 an hour at 40 hours a week is only $80 take home (before any taxes); there is no way in the world to survive on that; at least not in most parts of the world. However, maybe in 3rd world countries people could, but that would still be just to get by I'm sure.
marciamalory
Community Guru
8 of 14
Deleted
marciamalory
Community Guru
9 of 14
I know you know. By the way, a freelancer, whether working remotely or locally, should be charging more per hour than a 9 to 5 employee because we pay for our own supplies, don't get paid for time spent picking up supplies, reading emails, learning new skills, doing general research, looking for projects, etc., have to pay for all of our social security contributions, may have to pay for our own health insurance or medical expenses. An employee gets paid just for showing up.
mistykeith
Community Guru
10 of 14
I'm with that 150% because it is so, so true! I wish everyone realized this... I made a comment on another thread about something similar to this. It is a point that really should be driven home to anyone and everyone doing contracting/freelancing work.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS