cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone review job postings?

paulmessing
Paul M Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
1 of 6

I ask because I've seen some that are totally lacking in detail, and others that are "over-the-top," written with too much information and with a certain attitude.   I just saw a job called "video Production," and the job description was  literallly just "video production vfx cg."   How can a freelancer estimate a price bid based on this kind of description?  Does anyone review postings before they are posted?

Thanks.

computerhxr
Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
2 of 6

Just skip over them or start a dialog.  Sometimes clients want to choose someone before they divulge the details.  

Also, it looks like maybe it is meant for a specific person that probably already knows the details.  I've posted one liners and I get a ton of bids from people who want to waste their connects.  Why anyone would bid on something when you have no idea about it, and then not even ask questions about the job is beyond me.  

Sometimes clients don't really know what to ask for.  Like me when I need to hire someone to write something.  I have no idea what I should ask for.  I'm not an expert in writing.  I just want to find someone who can walk me through it and pay them for their time.

On the other hand, I've landed large projects that only had one liners.  They invite people but the posting is public.  So they send only the invitee's the specs and leave the public portion of the invite simple.  It's a shame we can't tell how many people were invited anymore...  Kind of a broken system at this point in time.

denishia
Denishia M Member Since: Feb 27, 2015
3 of 6

I definitely would opt to review postings. If it is too vague then I will just keep scrolling. But, if it sounds reasonably interesting, I will apply and ask several questions within my proposal. 

and979
Community Guru
Andrea B Member Since: Feb 20, 2015
4 of 6

It should be quite clear that giving the right amount of information when placing a job posting is way better than just saying "I need someone to do something for me". Of course there can be people without an experience, and someone should teach them how to do. Actually Upwork already tries in giving some useful advices to new and old clients, but I understand that many of them just need a freelancer without paying too much attention to details.

Anyway many clients that are not newbies anymore keep on posting jobs without understanding that more information almost always means a better opportunity to find the right freelancer. I don't need you to disclose all the details, fair enough. Just give me the relevant information so that I can understand if that job represents a good fit for me or not. I will not waste my connects, and you will not waste your time in selecting the right (or the most appealing) freelancer among dozens of applicants.

So, when I get no information and the job posting is inconclusive, I refrain from wasting my connects (unless it's the last day of the month Smiley LOL )

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 6

I love poor listings! It gets rid of the robo bidders for the good jobs. They waste their connects on bogus listings, so there are fewer bids on the good jobs. yay! 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 6

I know that job listings with very few detail annoy a lot of contractors.

I personally prefer that clients have considerable leeway with regards to how they craft job listings. It really doesn't take much time for a contractor to glance at a job listing, realize that it lacks sufficient detail for their tastes, and move on.

But as somebody who is also a client at times, I like to post well-written job postings that do not have an obnoxious amount of information, but which provide enough detail that a contractor can actually use the job posting itself to complete the job.

For example, when posting jobs for artists, I will provide the complete description of the art work that needs to be creatd. When posting job descriptions for writers, I like to provide a complete breakdown of what I want. This allows me to hire contractors without interviewing them. Contractors know all the details. There are no additional details revealed after they are hired. I can hire people and tell them: "Thank you for accepting the contract. I look forward to seeing the work when it's done."

In most cases, I believe it is tactically unsound for a cient to post an overly-short, incomprehensible job posting. But in some cases, they have a very legitimate reason for doing it. Some of my own clients have struggled with the private invite feature, have simply posted one-liner jobs that were really only meant for me.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS