🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Does closed and fully refunded contract (...
Page options
valery221166
Community Member

Does closed and fully refunded contract (job not as described) affect JSS?

Hi to all!

As far as I understand, client can't leave his feedback about the closed and fully refunded contract. Have read here before that such contract could affect JSS anyway. Is it true? Even if contract closed because the job was not as described?
Sounds a little bit weird.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If a client is asking you to do work they didn't pay for, just say no. You're under no obligation to complete work that hasn't been mutually agreed on.

If a client continually receives bad feedback from multiple freelancers (thus proving themselves to be unreasonable), Upwork will remove their feedback from your JSS calculations.

There is the alternate option of letting your clients bully you into doing extra work just so you can save your JSS. It depends on what you value more. I'd suggest you go with the former option, simply because it saves you a lot of time, money, and energy in the long run. Don't sell yourself short.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Valery K wrote:

As far as I understand, client can't leave his feedback about the closed and fully refunded contract. Have read here before that such contract could affect JSS anyway. Is it true? 

Clients can't leave public feedback if nothing was paid, but can leave private feedback, and that (along with the fact that nothing was paid) is what affects your JSS.

Contracts that lead to no earnings can't really be considered "successful"

OK, situation: client gives you the task, you start to make it, client starts to put more and more undescribed details, you spend on the task that was preplaned for 3 hours, 8 hours already, and continue spending and spending.
Solutions:

1. demand to Upwork dispute team, spend a lot of time for a few $$. Finally get from the client bad feedback and decrease JSS.

2. fully refund the money, get bad hidden feedback and decrease JSS anyway?
So, does Upwork suppose this type of clients some force majeure?

If a client is asking you to do work they didn't pay for, just say no. You're under no obligation to complete work that hasn't been mutually agreed on.

If a client continually receives bad feedback from multiple freelancers (thus proving themselves to be unreasonable), Upwork will remove their feedback from your JSS calculations.

There is the alternate option of letting your clients bully you into doing extra work just so you can save your JSS. It depends on what you value more. I'd suggest you go with the former option, simply because it saves you a lot of time, money, and energy in the long run. Don't sell yourself short.

Valery K wrote:

So, does Upwork suppose this type of clients some force majeure?

Not unless they keep having lots of poor outcomes.

The way to deal with such clients is to have very specific specs while setting up the contract, and then any additional request is met with a polite and firm "Yes, of course we can do that. It will take me X hours and the price for this additional work will be $ XXX. Why don't you release the original milestone and set up the new one for this, then I'll get right to it."

Clients will either agree to pay, or they will suddenly decide that they don't need the extra stuff after all.

I've never ONCE had one react with bad feedback to this approach. The trick is to have the scope nailed down and documented. That way it simply isn't possible for the client to ask for extra without it being perfectly obvious.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members