cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does disintermediation apply to Elance clients?

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
1 of 45

This doesn't even concern me because I didn't come over from Elance, but I'm curious. Once Elance ceases to be, are Elance disintermediation/non-circumvention clauses null & void, for clients who choose not to migrate to Upwork, or create new Upwork accounts instead of migrating?

For anyone unfamiliar with the terms "disintermediation/non-circumvention", it's the policy that prevents work outside the platform for a period of 24 months at risk of being subjected to steep penalty fees. It would be quite a perk for some Elance emigres if they could work with existing clients for no fee, once Elance is history.

Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
2 of 45
This information partly caused a thread to be locked and posts deleted yesterday.

Good luck.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
3 of 45

It is a controversial subject on the Elance forum, and no real answers have been forthcoming. If clients refuse to cross the bridge, I doubt they could be sued for wishing to keep their freelancers.

What a pity it is that not more people take part in either forum (one soon to be history) - but I am sure if more people joined and had a say - there would be a greater engagement on the part of the head honchos and those who make the laws.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
4 of 45

Setu, so I was just a day late & a buck short. Anyway, thanks for the heads up. I just took screenshot of the whole thread. Maybe I'll finally get my own locked thread. Cat Tongue

Lena E Moderator Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
5 of 45

I'm not sure if anyone followed up on these initial comments. We do have a feature for Elance clients who have merged over to Upwork. When a merged client signs-in they see a carousel of their previous freelancers on Elance. The carousel allows them to quickly look through and invite one of their previous freelancers to a job. This carousel also notifies them when the freelancer is signed up on Upwork. The screenshot below shows the carousel and what the view looks like if a freelancer is already on the platform "rehire", hasn't been invited yet "invite" or is in the process of merging over "been invited". This is obviously edited for privacy purposes, in normal circumstances your photo as well as name and overview appear.

2015-07-27_1429.png

Untitled
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 45

Oh Lena that's great. This is the first time I've heard of it. This makes me a little less uneasy about losing someone.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 45

I wouldn't dislike moving customers so much if they would somehow place clients/contractors together after the move. 

Something like "Hi Mr Client, need more work done? Here are the last contractors you worked with. Click their name to rehire them."

Something like that...

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
8 of 45

Quite.

I made a suggestion to a client to try Upwork. The client did, but couldn't find my profile, and got annoyed that other people were suggested in my place.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
9 of 45

@Nichola L wrote:

Quite.

I made a suggestion to a client to try Upwork. The client did, but couldn't find my profile, and got annoyed that other people were suggested in my place.

Upwork's claims do not always match our reality. 

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
10 of 45

@Jennifer M wrote:

I wouldn't dislike moving customers so much if they would somehow place clients/contractors together after the move. 

Something like "Hi Mr Client, need more work done? Here are the last contractors you worked with. Click their name to rehire them."

Something like that...

Upwork claims this will be done. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS