» Forums » Freelancers » Does freelancer need a ITIN number to get pai...
Page options
Community Member

Does freelancer need a ITIN number to get paid?

Hi, everybody, I was talking to a client and he ask me two things before the project started:

1) Pay him 34 dollars and his reason is: MILESTONE (AWARD) AGREEMENT CHARGE-34 USD. Our book is not published yet thats why we need security for our work. your deposit will be refunded to you with your first 30 Pages payout.

2) If you want to go through Freelancer / Upwork then you need to have ITIN number.if you don't have anything from them then we have a local team support for you kindly message us.


What do you think?


Hi Hongbo,


The time when your earnings become available depends on the type of payment — hourly, fixed-price, for a Project Catalog project, or a bonus:

  • Hourly contracts are based on a weekly billing cycle. The weekly billing period ends on Sunday. Your funds will be available for withdrawal 10 days later (the following Wednesday). Some contracts are eligible for faster payments. Learn more here.
  • Fixed-price contracts are based on milestones. Once the client approves a milestone, your funds are available for withdrawal after a five-day security period.
  • Project Catalog contracts are based on project approval. Once the client approves your project, your funds are available for withdrawal after a five-day security period.
  • Bonus payments are available to you after your client's payment has been successfully processed and the five-day security period has passed.

You can learn more about getting paid here. You must also complete your W8-BEN form. The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings.

~ Joanne
Community Member

I talked to a client with the same requirements. Did you proceed? Are they legitimate?

Community Member

No native english speaking person says "kindly" so 90% chance this is a scam, 10% chance they're using a virtual assistant in the philipines or india

Community Member

This is 100% accurate. I have the same issue; surprisingly, even those words are the same as mine. The terms and conditions also how will they pay me after the 30 pages from the certain project and they also want me to submit an ITIN number before the project started. 

Happen exactly the same to me, they told me to reach out to them in telegram and then told me those exact words. Must be a scam.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members