🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Does it affect to my Job Score if my clie...
Page options
r_stojicic
Community Member

Does it affect to my Job Score if my client ended project and do not pay anything?

I accepted my client's offer.

And we can't agree to the time frame.

And the client ended job before asking me.

I cannot see this project in my reviews.

Does it affect to my Job Score?

7 REPLIES 7
wescowley
Community Member

Yes, a no-pay job will affect your JSS.  The project won't show on your profile because there was no money, but any private feedback the client left will affect your JSS.  You should see the contract on your "all contracts" tab.

Always make sure you have those types of details worked out before you accept the offer.  

Thank you

Wes C wrote:

Yes, a no-pay job will affect your JSS.  The project won't show on your profile because there was no money, but any private feedback the client left will affect your JSS.  You should see the contract on your "all contracts" tab.

Always make sure you have those types of details worked out before you accept the offer.  

What if it's a no pay job because the client ghosted me / never sent me the materials for the job? Shouldn't that count against him, not me?

I don't imagine he's going to leave bad feedback because if he logged into UW I hope he would just respond to my messages rather than end the project and take the time to leave feedback.

Kelly,

Clients often do strange things. It isn't fair that a freelancer may suffer a hit to their JSS or otherwise be inconvenienced, but you will figure out over time how to have at least some control over how client actions affect you.

florydev
Community Member

Kelly B wrote:

Wes C wrote:

What if it's a no pay job because the client ghosted me / never sent me the materials for the job? Shouldn't that count against him, not me?

I don't imagine he's going to leave bad feedback because if he logged into UW I hope he would just respond to my messages rather than end the project and take the time to leave feedback.

The advice I have seen and taken is on an hourly job you want to make sure the client has verified payment before accepting an offer.  Then you want to immediately jump in and do one screenshots worth of work at the minimum with a good explanation of what you are doing.  In nearly every project there is a inital setup (mine is actually quite involved but I usually don't charge for most of it).  By doing this, they have to pay you at least some small amount before they ghost you and you avoid a non-paying job.

re: "What if it's a no pay job because the client ghosted me / never sent me the materials for the job? Shouldn't that count against him, not me?"

It does not matter what "should" or "should not" count against you.

It does not matter what is "fair."

A computer algorithm is not omniscient. A computer program is not a human case worker who carefully evaluates your situation.

A computer algorithm, such as the algorithm that calculates JSS, is just lines of code which perform math functions based on input data.

re: "What if it's a no pay job because the client ghosted me / never sent me the materials for the job"

This means that the freelancer made a tactical mistake by accepting the job before he:

a) had all the materials necessary to complete the job (fixed-price)

[or]

b) had enough information and materials sufficient to do at least 10 minutes of work on the job (hourly)

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths