cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does it make a difference who 'ends the contract' - you or the client? (successful job)

Amanda M Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
1 of 4

After I have completed a job successfully, and the client tells me they are very happy, and then they pay but do not end the contract or leave feedback. Does it matter if I end the contract and leave feedback first?

I have heard somewhere that if I end the contract first, I am slightly penalized.

So i am always hesitant to end the contract myself, and therefore I am always chasing my clients asking them to end the contract and leave feedback...

Anyone know for sure?

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 4

It doesn't matter who ends the contract, but having no feedback on contracts is a slight kick in the JS. They say that a few won't matter, but having a long history of no feedback is a problem. The reason they say that  the client should close the contract is because they must leave feedback to close it, so you ultimately get feedback.

But if the client disappears and isn't responding, you have the option to leave it open or close it yourself. You don't have any other option.

Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
3 of 4

It is better if the client closes the contract and marks it as "ended successfully".

If the client closes the contract, they will automatically have to leave feedback. If you close the contract, they don't have to do anything.

Even though a certain amount of contracts with no feedback won't hurt your score, you are missing out on opportunities of clients giving feedback (and especially the important high recommendation rate in the private feedback).

When I am done with a job and payment has been made, I usually send a message thanking the client again for the opportunity and asking them to close the contract and to take a minute to leave feedback. Along with that I write a short sentence about Upwork's preference of clients closing contracts so that they know the project was successful and a remark on the importance of feedback. This usually works quite well.

Jakia J Member Since: Sep 25, 2015
4 of 4

@Sandra T wrote:

It is better if the client closes the contract and marks it as "ended successfully".

If the client closes the contract, they will automatically have to leave feedback. If you close the contract, they don't have to do anything.

Even though a certain amount of contracts with no feedback won't hurt your score, you are missing out on opportunities of clients giving feedback (and especially the important high recommendation rate in the private feedback).

When I am done with a job and payment has been made, I usually send a message thanking the client again for the opportunity and asking them to close the contract and to take a minute to leave feedback. Along with that I write a short sentence about Upwork's preference of clients closing contracts so that they know the project was successful and a remark on the importance of feedback. This usually works quite well.

But if the client does not end the contract, it will reduce our job success rate. Very funny policy. After all hard works we need to pray for that our clien would be smart enough to understand this funny upwork policy.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS