🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Does it sound right if an NDP a client asked ...
Page options
shekay
Community Member

Does it sound right if an NDP a client asked to sign will be binding for 3 years?

I'm a designer, for garment and print. I worked at some multinational corporation before I was a freelancer. The NDP I have signed with those company usually bind during the time I work there and extend up to 1 year if I quit the company. After my first chat with my new potential client, he wanted me to sign an NDP before telling me what I need to do and the NDP will bind up to 3 years. I am not sure if I should sign ahead of me knowing what the contact is about. Could anyone advise? Thanks. I have attached the NDP for reference.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

I will sign an NDA that is binding for a thousand years.

NDA is short for "Non-Disclosure Agreement."

A normal NDA means that I will not talk about the client's information to anybody else.

I'm like a priest or doctor or therapist. I do this for ALL of my clients, whether I sign an NDA or not.

If I client/prospective cilent asks me to sign an NDA, I read it and make sure there is nothing goofy in it, and then I sign it. This is common, and NOT a big deal.

Note that the document you attached is titled "NDA" in big bold letters, right at the top, with the sub-headline: "Confidentiality Agreement."

The document is a normal NDA. It is pure boiler plate. Nothing to worry about.

Think to yourself: "Will there ever come a time where I want to tell this client's secrets to somebody outside of the company?"

If the answer is no, then go ahead and sign.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

I will sign an NDA that is binding for a thousand years.

NDA is short for "Non-Disclosure Agreement."

A normal NDA means that I will not talk about the client's information to anybody else.

I'm like a priest or doctor or therapist. I do this for ALL of my clients, whether I sign an NDA or not.

If I client/prospective cilent asks me to sign an NDA, I read it and make sure there is nothing goofy in it, and then I sign it. This is common, and NOT a big deal.

Note that the document you attached is titled "NDA" in big bold letters, right at the top, with the sub-headline: "Confidentiality Agreement."

The document is a normal NDA. It is pure boiler plate. Nothing to worry about.

Think to yourself: "Will there ever come a time where I want to tell this client's secrets to somebody outside of the company?"

If the answer is no, then go ahead and sign.

shefen
Community Member

In general there is nothing wrong with NDAs. If you think the length of time is unreasonable then don't be afraid to suggest changes. The most recent NDA that I refused to sign included a non-compete clause that said I could not work for another company in the same industry for some period of time. I objected to that and they agreed to make changes.

The discussion between us about their NDA helped me to see what sort of issues I might have had with them as a client, so I ended up not working with them for other reasons. 

18dabe42
Community Member

good

wlyonsatl
Community Member

I occasionally have to sign non-disclosure agreements for new clients.

If there's a provision in a client's agreement I don't agree with I tell them what change would be acceptable to me. I can only remember one potential client whose lawyer refused to make my requested change so I refused to sign the document.

Many potential clients don't even read the NDAs they send me, so when I point out an objectionable provision they tell me they didn't realize that was in the NDA. There are plenty of NDAs on the internet, which is where most potential clients appear to get what they send me.

I also have a template NDA that I will suggest we use. Most clients are fine with that.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members