🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Does my profile look good/trustworthy?
Page options
nicco174
Community Member

Does my profile look good/trustworthy?

What would you change in my profile? I have tried to submit various proposals on the website in the fields of translation and voice-over (all of them with the minimum wage $) but I have only got a contract as an international caller. Do you think I am rejected because I have no reviews yet? Could you suggest anything I could add, eliminate or change in my profile? Thank you all in advance. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
versailles
Community Member

Niccolo P wrote:

What would you change in my profile? I have tried to submit various proposals on the website in the fields of translation and voice-over (all of them with the minimum wage $) but I have only got a contract as an international caller. Do you think I am rejected because I have no reviews yet? Could you suggest anything I could add, eliminate or change in my profile? Thank you all in advance. 

Do not go for the lowest-paying gigs, you will regret it. Pick small jobs, but avoid cheap jobs. Cheap clients are the worst of the worst and you can end up with a poor rating if you work with these. Avoid them like plague.

Do not compete on price. Someone will undercut you, always. Some people are ready to pay to work, this is a battle you cannot win.

Add more translations into your portfolio and ditch the screen grab of your Upwork test. Upwork is abandoning tests and they mean squat. Add translation pieces.

Search yourself in Upwork's search engine and see what part of your overview is displayed. It has to be catchy.

Ditch the first paragraph of your translator profile. Nobody cares where you're born and where you studied. There is an education section on your profile, school goes there.

Change your English level from Native to Fluent. You're not a native speaker of English and you're not bilingual. You are a fluent speaker of English. You don't need to be a native speaker of your source language. Same for all other languages but Italian.

Your profile has to be about what you can do for your clients not about you.

If you use a CAT, mention it. If you think a CAT meows, then you need to learn what a CAT is and how to use one.

$12/hour? In Italy? Do you live in a tent? Lol. That screams amateur.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Niccolo P wrote:

Nobody can be a native speaker in 4 languages, so you need to change that. Your first sentence has mistakes, fix those. Did not read further. And please adjust your hourly rate! 

kfarnell
Community Member

People will not take you seriously as a European with such a low hourly rate. 

versailles
Community Member

Niccolo P wrote:

Do not go for the lowest-paying gigs, you will regret it. Pick small jobs, but avoid cheap jobs. Cheap clients are the worst of the worst and you can end up with a poor rating if you work with these. Avoid them like plague.

Do not compete on price. Someone will undercut you, always. Some people are ready to pay to work, this is a battle you cannot win.

Add more translations into your portfolio and ditch the screen grab of your Upwork test. Upwork is abandoning tests and they mean squat. Add translation pieces.

Search yourself in Upwork's search engine and see what part of your overview is displayed. It has to be catchy.

Ditch the first paragraph of your translator profile. Nobody cares where you're born and where you studied. There is an education section on your profile, school goes there.

Change your English level from Native to Fluent. You're not a native speaker of English and you're not bilingual. You are a fluent speaker of English. You don't need to be a native speaker of your source language. Same for all other languages but Italian.

Your profile has to be about what you can do for your clients not about you.

If you use a CAT, mention it. If you think a CAT meows, then you need to learn what a CAT is and how to use one.

$12/hour? In Italy? Do you live in a tent? Lol. That screams amateur.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths