cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

its linkedin

Ace Contributor
Nicole H Member Since: Nov 15, 2007
1 of 6
I have an account on Linkedin. The email I use for that account is a completely different one from here and I don't use my full name here on oDesk. However, obviously there is some overlap between my profile here and there that a robot of some kind could figure out I am one and the same person. That said, I found it rather spooky a couple months ago when LinkedIn recommended connections started showing former clients here. In one case, maybe my name might appear on that person's web site because I wrote some articles for them some years ago but that would assume that LinkedIn is spidering the entire internet to find references to me. What seems more likely, especially considering one of the clients there would be no way to know I was connected to that person unless they dug deep into oDesk and I have no mutual connections with these clients other than through oDesk, is that either oDesk is selling our data to LinkedIn, or LinkedIn is spidering the entire oDesk site and mining our data. Anyone else have this experience? And does oDesk want to comment on the privacy of our data and work experience here?
Ace Contributor
2 of 6
Why?
Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
3 of 6
Hi Nicole, Your work information does remain private, so we're not sharing details of your work history on LinkedIn. It's more likely those people finding you on LinkedIn are doing so by searching for your name, or skills on LI. Or they're coming across your clients first, then finding you through that client's connections. This could, and appears to be, happening purely through search/browsing on LinkedIn.
Community Guru
Marissa S Member Since: Feb 6, 2008
4 of 6
or perhaps, that sync function where you get to sync your email contacts. You know what's creepy though about that site -- it's your profile getting looked at by folks who work in the government, security and intelligence agencies without even bothering to cover their tracks.. makes you feel paranoid all of a sudden especially when they ask to Connect Smiley Sad
Ace Contributor
5 of 6
I think you did not read my post carefully enough or else you are playing a game of smoke and mirrors. No one was searching for anyone, either me or the former clients. LinkedIn has an algorithm of some kind that suggests people you might know so you can add them as contacts if you want. Some of the suggestions make sense, as they are people who you share lots of contacts in common with. The oDesk clients do not make sense, because I share no contacts with them and the only common denominator I have with them is I did work for them on oDesk in the past. So how does LinkedIn know that as such information is only available here in my profile? One can give LinkedIn access to one's email contacts but that doesn't explain it either even if LinkedIn did that in a sneaky manner because the email address I use with LinkedIn I never use to communicate with anyone I know. I set it up mainly as a junk mail email. And no it has nothing to do with shared skills. These jobs that I did for these people do not fall into my main area of expertise, experience or even interest. I am absolutely certain that our only connection is via oDesk. I have no doubt LinkedIn got this info via oDesk. I just want to know how they managed to do it.
Highlighted
Sami u Member Since: Dec 16, 2011
6 of 6
Actually its linkedin. When you login to 2 different account on linkedin from same PC (same ip) linkedin sort of connects the two profiles. It even recommends ppl from one profile to the other and happened with me also.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS