cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the Captcha job is a scam?

yanamatunan
diana m Member Since: Nov 9, 2015
1 of 5

I received a message that "I'm now part of the project" I download their software and found that it's a captcha data entry. Can I ask if this is a scam?  I was new in upwork I need your advised.

sarinebelle
Ace Contributor
Maria Criselda E Member Since: Sep 25, 2015
2 of 5

Yes it is, and illegal. Although I won't ever come across this myself as it's in a different field, I understand that it's one of the oldest scams on freelancer websites and that the scammers usually target newbies.

To avoid the most common scams & be updated about new ones, see this thread here: Job warning signs

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
3 of 5

Hi Diana,

I'm glad you decided to seek advice from our Community before accepting this job. As noted by Maria, Captcha entry jobs are not permitted on the platform and we are working hard to identify and remove such job postings. Please report those kind of postings by using the "Flag as inappropriate" link.

Please note you're not yet hired for the job you mentioned. 

If you go to Find Work > Job Applications you will be able to check whether any of your applications were accepted. Applications you see in the "Active Candidacies" section have been accepted and the client would like to discuss the job further or have an interview with you, but that doesn't mean the job is awarded to you.

Don't start working without an active contract, which would show in your "My Jobs" tab. You can find more details here.

Let me also share a few other resources that you may need as a new freelancer on Upwork. You can find valuable information in the Getting Started as a Freelancer section of the Hep Center. I also advise watching our educational videos and reading the best practice advice shared by other users:

Freelancer Tutorial Videos

Want to get that first job? Then check this out...

To help you work safely on Upwork, please have a look at tips and warning signs shared in this thread

Untitled
wmorrison
Community Leader
William M Member Since: Feb 10, 2015
4 of 5

To find out if this job is a scam, please enter the following characters:

Y a I t I s

(If you experience any difficulty, please make sure you have spellcheck disabled, Java Script enabled, refresh your browser window, and buy a new computer.)

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
5 of 5

William M wrote:

"To find out if this job is a scam, please enter the following characters:

Y a I t I s

(If you experience any difficulty, please make sure you have spellcheck disabled, Java Script enabled, refresh your browser window, and buy a new computer.)"

If that still doesn't work, please send us your bank details and we will send  you $2000 to spend the way you want.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS