Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doesn't Upwork have a Minimum Pay Now?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Angela L Member Since: Oct 20, 2009
1 of 9

I was just reading through a new posting that is looking for a Pro Customer Service person, and they are looking for someone 9am - 5:30pm M-F. It's listed as an Hourly job, but in the description it says, "We pay a fixed fee of $66.00 weekly ($1.50 hourly net to you) PLUS the 10% Odesk/Upwork fee".  I thought the minimum allowed pay was higher than that? I see it's already got 45 applicants in less than an hour!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
2 of 9

Angela,

There is a minimum of $3.00 an hour on  hourly jobs, but fixed price jobs have no minimum. They can still hire someone for pennies on those jobs unfortunately.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Gyan D Member Since: Sep 4, 2014
3 of 9

The minimum rate you can bid is $3, but nothing prevents the client offering a lower rate in the description or agreeing with the freelancer to log hours so that the effective rate is lower i.e. log 1 hour for 2 hours of work..

Highlighted
Community Guru
Angela L Member Since: Oct 20, 2009
4 of 9

People need to realize their talents are worth more than $1.50/hr! If nobody would agree to work for that small amount, things would change. It doesn't matter where you are located or what your economy is like, this is a global marketplace and you should put a higher value on your services. This (appears to be) a US company at that!

I have colleagues from the Philippines whose rates are lower than mine, but still nowhere near that low, and they don't seem to have trouble finding work!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 9

lol I just saw someone complaining that they are now forced to pay a minumum of $3.00/hour. lulz

If you don't laugh about it, you'll cry.

Highlighted
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Feb 20, 2009
6 of 9

There are internet success stories of people that got paid $x per hour and now make $100x per hour.

Maybe its more like $10x per hour for most as there career develops.

Are you a potential $100x-er?!

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Jaime L Member Since: May 11, 2015
7 of 9

@Jennifer M wrote:

lol I just saw someone complaining that they are now forced to pay a minumum of $3.00/hour. lulz

If you don't laugh about it, you'll cry.

Where?! 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
8 of 9

@Jamie

Blackhatworld -- where fail SEOs go to get "tips."

Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
9 of 9

@Angela L wrote:

I was just reading through a new posting that is looking for a Pro Customer Service person, and they are looking for someone 9am - 5:30pm M-F. It's listed as an Hourly job, but in the description it says, "We pay a fixed fee of $66.00 weekly ($1.50 hourly net to you) PLUS the 10% Odesk/Upwork fee".  I thought the minimum allowed pay was higher than that? I see it's already got 45 applicants in less than an hour!

Is this a posting for the newly created and recruited for, Pro Customer Service group? In other words, are freelancers made jump through hoops, and going through testing and Upwork internal interviews, to find themself part of this elite club that's posting jobs for $66 a week with the requirement to work 44 hours per week for the $66?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS