🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Doing a sample illustration before the job is...
Page options
artscout
Community Member

Doing a sample illustration before the job is offered

Greetings 

I am very new on upwork and received my very first response to one of my proposals. The job required to offer a sample to make sure I can actually illustrate the style the job required. Based on that I could be offered to do a number of illustrations.

Can I get advice how to go about this? Is it ok to provide a sample and then go long with this project as it would organically take my profile forward to win this job? Will I be safe as all this will be communicated within the upwork platform?

Thanks in advance.

RTF

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Teresa:
A real client looks at your portfolio.

A real client does not ask you to create custom illustrations.

Scammers ask freelancers to create custom illustrations.

This is also known as "asking for free work." This is a violation of Upwork ToS.

You need to understand that it is part of these scammers personal "code" to never pay freelancers any money. It is sort of like a game for them. They enjoy tricking freelancers into working for free.

In case the person you are dealing with is a real client who simply doesn't understand how to use Upwork properly (and not a scammer), I recommend that you do this:

Tell this potential client that you WILL create the sample illustration, and tell her how much that will cost. Tell her:

"Jaimie: Thank you for your interest in working with me. Yes, I can create the sample illustration you requested. I can do that using either an hourly contract or a fixed-price contract for $50. I can do that within 24 hours and will be happy to get started after you send the official hire offer on Upwork."

Then... if the client sets up an OFFICIAL CONTRACT on Upwork (you will see it here: Upwork -> My Jobs -> My Jobs), you can do the work. If the client does NOT set up an official contract, you need to click the "Flag as inappropriate" link button in the top right hand corner of the job posting screen and report the her.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
prestonhunter
Community Member

Teresa:
A real client looks at your portfolio.

A real client does not ask you to create custom illustrations.

Scammers ask freelancers to create custom illustrations.

This is also known as "asking for free work." This is a violation of Upwork ToS.

You need to understand that it is part of these scammers personal "code" to never pay freelancers any money. It is sort of like a game for them. They enjoy tricking freelancers into working for free.

In case the person you are dealing with is a real client who simply doesn't understand how to use Upwork properly (and not a scammer), I recommend that you do this:

Tell this potential client that you WILL create the sample illustration, and tell her how much that will cost. Tell her:

"Jaimie: Thank you for your interest in working with me. Yes, I can create the sample illustration you requested. I can do that using either an hourly contract or a fixed-price contract for $50. I can do that within 24 hours and will be happy to get started after you send the official hire offer on Upwork."

Then... if the client sets up an OFFICIAL CONTRACT on Upwork (you will see it here: Upwork -> My Jobs -> My Jobs), you can do the work. If the client does NOT set up an official contract, you need to click the "Flag as inappropriate" link button in the top right hand corner of the job posting screen and report the her.

Hi Preston

Thank you so much That's such valuable advice.  I agree 100% the job poster's request does not sound okay.

But I did notice him actually mentioning upfront that a sample will be needed ...I only now clearly notice the mention "free" :o/. 

The sample he needed he said only if there was none to see indicative on my portfolio which was not the case. (have  send an attachment). job post Quoted " Otherwise please do at least 1 free sampling for a poem so that I can see your work. If you do not have any previous sample work or if you do not want to do a free sample in that case , please ignore this invite ." 

I think it was my mistake to even respond. And surely I should then decline.

Because it is clear before I do the sample that he is not going to do the official contract after all.

What do you suggest I now do after I have declined? if such a job post was indeed a violation?

I so appreciate your help. Kind Regards Teres 

Definitely flag this job posting and report it for asking for free work.

Hi Preston

Thank you I just did.

Regards

Teresa

AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Teresa,

I already sent the job post to our team for investigation and appropriate actions will be taken according to our internal processes.

Please, check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option to report any inappropriate content.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

I just wanted to add that saying, "Do this and I'll give you lots more work" is a common tactic used by clients to get you to do something for free, or very cheaply. Another one is, "Do this cheaply and I'll give you an amazing review." Some clients prey on new freelancers because they know that they're desperate to land their first job and get feedback. Don't fall for it. It might take some time to find your first good client, but they do exist.

Hi Christine

Thank you so much. Oh yes. I have heard that plenty of times in my real life jobs and my regular reply is "you pay me my quoted rate and when you bring future work I can think about discounting if need be then". They speak as if they have handed us a contract for all future work.

Speaking about amazing reviews, I was in touch with an artist until a few years ago (maybe fake because there are some who lack passion) she made up a career by organising art shows (sponsored by large brands) with donated paintings from artists who cared less about them tarnishing the market but were hungry for publicity. (only fake ones could do that who copy or do dericatives) And those amazing reviews if it was given has not got them anywhere beyond one event or so. She was also publicity hungry and they fed her so well that today she has her own online gallery supposedly representing artists with an upfront fee charged for showcasing their work online. Sadly it's a lobster game among some freelancers too who actually do not want to make an honest living. They don't want to care that they are going down with all of us. 

Of course thank you so much. I must admit I got a little anxious when I never heard back after a number of proposals made. I may have stopped thinking straight altho I have had a good handle of the inventive ways scammers could scam artists :o) True it will not happen overnight on upwork when you have 5 million members here. Regards Teresa

Just a word of advice - you may want to change your profile photo, since it's very dark and it looks like you're frowning. Ideally, you want to look trustworthy and approachable.

You could also make improvements to your profile overview. Take out "Hello there May I introduce myself" (BTW, "may" shouldn't be capitalised unless you're talking about the month of May) and begin with a couple of sentences that will grab a client's attention. Find a niche that focuses on your strengths, instead of saying that you can "take on any style". (Frankly, if I were looking for someone to illustrate a children's book, then I'd consider hiring you, but if I were looking for someone to illustrate the cover of an annual report, then I would not.) Also, don't say that you're available 24/7 - that's physically impossible. 

Good luck.

Hi Christine 

Thank you for your detailed suggestions. Will have a reframe of my profile soon.

As regards my photograph. The reason I had to put that profile photo is I don't want to post my extremely clear standard photograph on a public profile online simply because of the fact of extreme privacy issues. Also I can't have my real life clients see that I am on upwork because unfortunately I will be asked to reduce my onsite jobs to 1/4th of what is my usual rate. As I cant rely on upwork to make my living. This is my new step on the side to guage if I have a future to completely start working online. However I guess I better brighten my face pic because I am really not frowning.

And 24-7 although is a metaphor I used there... when there is a project I really work 24-7 and have worked frequently 48 hours straight on many projects and one time we stayed 10 days straight at our studio where I worked at the time because we had no time to go home. Shower, food everything was at the workplace. In the field of animation and ad agency lifethis happens.....so 24-7 was really what I meant. 

Hi Aleksandar

Thank you very much.

Regards

Teresa

06c3a990
Community Member

Okay so I am totally new to Upwork.  As a client how I am I guaranteed to receive my artwork after I post payment for the job? Are the funds held until the job is done?   

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members