🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Don't Use Upwork. It's full of scams
Page options
f7a11d5d
Community Member

Don't Use Upwork. It's full of scams

This is not a guide or anything like that, this is a warning to not use upwork anymore. I've recently received 3 job offers after looking for freelance work and they all turned out to be scams. All asking to move our conversation to skype.

What happened to this platform?

9 REPLIES 9
sofia2008
Community Member

Scammers target new freelancers. You might want to work on your profile and send proposals to clients who have a previous experience on Upwork.

moonraker
Community Member

Upwork is full of scams.

But I've not been scammed once in all the years I've been using it. It's a matter of common sense and following the TOS. Don't blame the system because you can't make it work for you.

renata101
Community Member

Mikee M wrote:

This is not a guide or anything like that, this is a warning to not use upwork anymore. I've recently received 3 job offers after looking for freelance work and they all turned out to be scams. All asking to move our conversation to skype.

What happened to this platform?

Who are you supposed to be warning? I got three of those this week too. I just ignored them because it's easy to spot that they're not legit. Sure, I wish Upwork were doing more about the spam and scam offers, but I also got a bunch of legitimate invitations. I sent proposals to those or queries for more information. There's still legitimate work to be found on this platform.

yofazza
Community Member

Don't Use Upwork. It's full of scams

An advice that should be placed in the front page to prevent people from signing up and get scammed. 

Better than allowing them to get scammed and be told, "that happened because you don't have common sense".

Or from another point of view (let them scammed because we don't need more of them and they're expendable): placing that warning in the front page gives similar result, without the scammed part.

9296637d
Community Member

Absolutely yes it should be done, infact freelancer.com does that, they give such kind of warnings.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Don't cross the street with your eyes closed, it's full of cars. 

Martina P wrote:

Don't cross the street with your eyes closed, it's full of cars. 

A noob (like small child) might do that. It's better to prevent than to allow it to happen and blame the child. That's what I think.

It's happening again and again (one more posted today) making people bored and tend to blame the victim. While actually on the internets everyone is a noob to something. We're not super-smart just because we're here longer.

alexandernovikov
Community Member

This world is full of scams in general. It doesn't mean we should all commit suicide. Yes there are scams, weed them out, and move on. Gradually you will learn to simply mentally "filter" them in a second and not even notice they exist.

spectralua
Community Member

Upwork have lot of scam but isn't a full. An 5% legit clients and freelancers still here. ðŸ˜º

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members