🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Don't like client, should I end contract?
Page options
mejaso913
Community Member

Don't like client, should I end contract?

Hey, started a new project and the client is turning out to be a real pain. They aren't happy with the design I gave them, even though it's exactly what they asked for. They aren't giving me any creative leeway despite all of expereince in this area, however they want me to "be more creative" because they can't put their finger on it but they aren't happy. They are worried about me logging too many hours and have brought this up already 2 times, told me to keep the hours to a minimum. However they want me to revise and revise and be more creative. They also want to chat on the phone about it after every revision.

Should I just end the contract from my end?

11 REPLIES 11
NikolaS

Hi Missy,

I am sorry to hear about your bad experience with this contract. It is always good to communicate and politely explain everything to your client to avoid any misunderstanding. You can discuss the terms of further engagement on the contract and attempt to resolve the situation amicably. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
richardrader
Community Member

It sounds like you and the client are simply not a good match. If the contract is no longer worth the time, you could end the contract. If it were me, I would refund the client, cancel the project, and use the top rated feature to remove feedback if applicable. 

Thank you for your response. I'm wondering though, why you would give them a refund if you already did some work?

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Don't like client, should I end contract?"

Freelancers are allowed to end a contract at any time, for any reason.

If you don't like a client, you can end a contract.

Likewise, clients are allowed to end a contract at any time, for any reason.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

If you have done the work, do not agee to any refund. 

Since we are not allowed to know how many of a client's previous projects have been cancelled or involved mediation, etc., this client may make it a habit to rip off freelancers by making their lives difficult with complaints about hours logged, etc., etc.

Tell the client you will not book any more time on the contract until more specific instructions, specs, guidance, etc. are provided by them, as you don't want to waste their money on further work that may not be what they are looking for.

Hold to that line, and don't waver. If they cancel the project, you will likely get paid as long as you have adhered to the hourly protection rules.

If you have a Top Rated feedback removal perk available, you are ultimately completely in charge here. They can keep the "incomplete" work you've provided, cancel the project and pay in full for the work you've done so far or work with you to create what they're looking for. It's their choice.

If you do not have that perk available to you, you have nothing to lose by waiting them out. Just don't work without further instructions, pointing out to them as often as you need to that you understand they have a budget and you want to help them stay within it.

Good luck!

Thank you for your response, this helps. 

a_lipsey
Community Member

Missy S wrote:

They aren't happy with the design I gave them, even though it's exactly what they asked for. 

This is the first problem.  It's obviously not exactly what they asked for if they aren't happy with it, is it?  It sounds like this client needs more help to envison what they want, and maybe you aren't the right freelancer for them.  (That's not meant as an affront, it doesn't sound like a good fit for you either.)  

I think you need to get on the same page with this client about what the process will be, how many revisions will be done, and what kind of requests they need to make.  You need to get approvals on all revision requests in writing so you can document to them what they've requested and agreed to.  If you're working as  a designer, and the client isn't sure what they want, isn't it your job to help them narrow that down and figure it out? It's okay that you need more concrete direction from them, but you also need to know how to prompt them for that concrete direction. If that's not something you are comfortable doing, then maybe it would be better to negotiate an end to the contract. I say negotiate an end to the contract because  they need to pay for work done, and they also need to receive something usable from their work with you.  You should discuss with them that maybe it isn't a good fit and end the contract, rather than ending it without warning. 

They do know exactly what they want, and I've given them that design. We talked about the process over the phone and I wrote it out in messages, we agreed, and started the contract.

I always state "I never accept work without first exploring a fit. We will have at least one chat." Every response includes numbers of revisions included for the price paid. I also lay out the client's responsibilities. If the client objects, he's shown he's going to be a problem because this is a negotiation of equals.

I had a client who wanted continual phone meetings involving himself and someone else plus me. He rarely showed up. He missed the review deadline for the first draft of the first of ten business documents. I finally sent him a bill for $50 to cover 25 hours of lost time waiting for him to show at meetings; my quoted rate on the job was $100/hour. He refused to pay the bill.

I sent him a message telling him that I am a professional and he is not dealing with me as one. I canceled the remainder of the contract and sent him a refund for everything paid. He never did understand what was wrong.

Send a refund and a PM to the moderator of your choice, asking that the client be barred from posting future jobs and why. Don't expect any action, of course. Hold your head high and march out the door.

The best thing to do is always to calmly bring the issues to the client's attention and negotiate a way to close the contract so they can go work with someone else.

re: "They aren't happy with the design I gave them, even though it's exactly what they asked for."

You have no way of knowing for certain that they don't like the design.

They may have told you that they don't like the design. But you can not read their mind. Maybe they are lying in order to manipulate you as a way of getting the work done for free.

You may state: "The client claims that he does not like the design."

You should not say "The client does not like the design."

Keep in mind that you were hired to perform a task. You performed that task. The client is supposed to pay you.

This is an hourly contract. The client has the right to end the contract at any time. Until the client ends the contract, they need to pay you for all of the time you spend working on it.

If the client calls you, you need to log the time spent talking on the phone. If the client asks you to make changes, you need to log the time you spend making changes. If the client is asking you to do more work but keep your time to a minimum, you may try to do so. But what you should NOT do is work for free.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths