🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Don't show the specialized profile
Page options
oleksakrasnova
Community Member

Don't show the specialized profile

Hello!

I have a question regarding the specialized profile.

Do I have the option to choose manually between the general and the specialized profiles during the job applying?

For example, client chose "Presentation design" specialized profiles and I have it. But for this job my general profile matches better. What should I do?

Thank you in advance,
Oleksandra
15 REPLIES 15
sergio-soria
Community Member

I think I read recently in the community that when you apply to a job the profile is chosen automatically by the system according to the skills that match best.

Sergio S wrote:

the profile is chosen automatically by the system according to the skills that match best.

1525633653_Jean-Luc Picard Facepalm.jpg

What is it, Sanja? 🙂

I really think I read that somewhere around here, that when you have 2 profiles, let's say "data entry" and "proofreader" and send a proposal to a proofreader job post the system chooses between the 2 profiles according to the keywords that match, since each profile contains up to 10 skills that work as keywords. The system will obviously choose the proofreader profile and not the other.

Or maybe I was just dreaming. I don't have the specialized profile so I can't say for sure what the system does.

Sergio, I think Sanja was responding to the policy/practice itself, not to your correct restatement of it.

sorry Sergio,
as Douglas pointed out - facepalm reaction has nothing to do with your  comment - it's super helpful, btw - that was the reaction to   "the profile is chosen automatically by the system"  part of it 

you see - so far the system wasn't very reliable...

I found it! It's here https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/I-am-trying-to-update-my-portfolio-with-a-new-folder-but... in one of Avery's answers, though it says the profile chosen will be "highlighted", the others will still be there if the client wants to take a look.

I have presentation design in general profile and investor pitch deck in specialized. So basically the system will choose specialized profile most of the time.

So the answer is that I can't do it myself manually?

Hi Oleksandra, 

The ability for freelancers to submit a specialized profile with a proposal will be added later. We’ll keep you posted!

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi Avery!

Thanks for your answer. When this option will be added? Since it's super inconvenient.

Today I was not able to apply for the job, since I needed my general profile (just general presentation design without specialization).

To explain client that he should look at another profile is super stupid.

just checked this article on UW

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/115013750068-Create-a-Specialized-Profile?flash_digest=...

and here's the quote from it

"For example, you can separate out the work you've done as a mobile game developer from your work as a translator or graphic designer."

really?  I'm dying to meet that freelancer -  skilled game developer, skilled translator, skilled graphic designer...
at least I know that I won't be creating specialized profile - I'm only  a graphic designer, so not much point in trying to add my acting skills, piano playing and cooking...

Sanja D wrote:

just checked this article on UW

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/115013750068-Create-a-Specialized-Profile?flash_digest=...

and here's the quote from it

"For example, you can separate out the work you've done as a mobile game developer from your work as a translator or graphic designer."

really?  I'm dying to meet that freelancer -  skilled game developer, skilled translator, skilled graphic designer...
at least I know that I won't be creating specialized profile - I'm only  a graphic designer, so not much point in trying to add my acting skills, piano playing and cooking...

Sanja, you are right to highlight that that example is ridiculous. It is. But (for example) I am a proofreader and editor and via UP, I have completed a deal of work relating to UK 'localisms'. I havn't decided yet, but it seems like the ability to add this now to my profile as an additional specialized area of work is helpful (there are other examples I could use regarding subject matter).

I think that is my way of saying that you may do 'something', but that dosn't mean that there are not specific skills or areas of knowledge within it which I'm sure you have, that you can highlight to your advantage.

Richard,

I definitely agree with you - the  problem I have is -  I specialize in print design - and it's not even listed there. Someone pointed out that I may use Editorial design - which is not really accurate...

Hi Sergio, 

I would like to confirm that the profile that is most relevant to the job requirements will automatically be shown with your proposal. Your general profile and any other specialized profiles you have will still be visible to the client when they view your proposal and your profile details.

~ Avery
Upwork
iaabraham
Community Member

Avery O wrote:

Hi Sergio, 

I would like to confirm that the profile that is most relevant to the job requirements will automatically be shown with your proposal. Your general profile and any other specialized profiles you have will still be visible to the client when they view your proposal and your profile details.

Absolutely absurd. While Upwork's at it, why don't they just submit proposals and accept/decline invites on our behalf? Or even do our clients' work for us?

(Sarcasm, since Upwork enjoys implementing crazy practices.)

Isabelle Anne A wrote:

Avery O wrote:

Hi Sergio, 

Absolutely absurd. While Upwork's at it, why don't they just submit proposals and accept/decline invites on our behalf? Or even do our clients' work for us?

(Sarcasm, since Upwork enjoys implementing crazy practices.)

Isabelle, be careful ... even though you labeled it sarcasm, we don't want to put ideas into Upwork's already crowded brain. I'm so thankful I didn't fall for the specialized profile nonsense.

Upwork - here it is, sweet and simple: ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths