Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Don't want to work for client

marianne222
Community Leader
Marianne M Member Since: Mar 22, 2016
1 of 17

Hi Guys,

I answered a propsal for a VA saying you needed Adobe Photoshop. Well, the rest of the job sound really good, so I wrote this person and told them I didn't have Photoshop and was sorry that I could not do the work.

They wrote me back and said, that was okay, let's talk.

So we talked about what they wanted done. At that time we agreed on manual work diary.

After I accepted the proposal (Monday) they told me they wanted screen capture, which  doesn't work well when researching, if you know what I mean.

And they said I would be doing Admin work, emailing, social media posts, etc.

Now it's all about research and frankly, I don't know if I am able to do the work to their satisfaction.

I have a bad feeling about this one and I don't want to ruin my status, but I just have a gut feeling they are going to be all over me, changing their mind every other day and generally not doing anything remotely resembling the job I *did not* apply for in the first place.

Is there any way I can get out of this?

Thanks

“Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.”
vsalinitro
Community Leader
Valerio S Member Since: Oct 13, 2017
2 of 17

@Marianne M wrote:

they told me they wanted screen capture, which  doesn't work well when researching, if you know what I mean.

i honestly don't.

Anyway, if you don't feel comfortable with the client, try to explan to him your position and close the contract.

sam-sly
Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
3 of 17

Why doesn't screen capture work while researching? I've used it while researching for writing projects and I think it worked fine? I do type notes when I find useful information and sources though. I know it doesn't work for some types of tasks since it counts keystrokes and mouse clicks. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 17

Upwork places no restrictions on quitting. If you don't want to work for someone, then don't.

Close the contract. You don't need permission from anyone to do so.

To be polite, tell the client thank you for the opportunity but you realized you're not the right person and you wish him well. But it isn't required to even do that.

marianne222
Community Leader
5 of 17

Okay, So I can just talk to this person, tell them I'm not the right fit and it won't affect my status of 100% *at all*? I won't get in any trouble by Upwork? Really?

To answer the above: I don't like screen shots when I'm researching an unknown subject. I have to go down so many false roads to get to the one I really want, and the client sees this as a waste of time, as they don't know anything about finding that first important (and second lead). So, I'd prefer they just take my honest word on how long I worked.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated!

“Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.”
marianne222
Community Leader
6 of 17

I mean, I'm sure a lot of clients would understand the paths you have to follow to find the information they want.

I just have this deep, gut feeling about this client and I don't trust them. But I do trust my gut.

bruce_dodds
Community Leader
Bruce D Member Since: Oct 1, 2015
7 of 17

Marianne,

I would take Preston's advice and close the contract.  Sometimes a client and a freelancer are not simpatico.  It's not always a case of moral failing.  Regardless, I would trust your gut in this situation.

Your concern about bad feedback is understandable.  To minimize the likelihood of that, I would speak to the client before ending the contract.  Just make the point that you made here, that the work you're being asked to do is not what you hired on for.  You also have the option of cancelling any time billed, which is something I would do in this situation.

I'm sure this will just be a blip in your freelancing career.

Bruce

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
8 of 17

Marianne, there is no guarantee this won't affect your JSS. The client will leave feedback, and if it's negative, it will hurt.

Whether or not that happens may depend on how you manage getting out of the contract, but it may not--the client may be annoyed that you changed your mind and ding you. You can't prevent that. If you're top rated and haven't used the perk in the last 10 jobs/3 months, you can have the impact of that removed from your JSS calculation.

If you sincerely believe that the contract isn't going to go well, then sticking it out for your JSS makes no sense; if it doesn't go well, the client won't rate you well.

If you're going to cancel, though, get your thoughts organized and be concise and direct. The various directions you've taken in this thread and the number of paragraphs you've used to try to explain why you want to end the contract makes it look like you're just making excuses or obfuscating the real issue.

If you back out, do it in a couple of clear sentences.

marianne222
Community Leader
9 of 17

I suppose it does sound all over the place and I'm sorry for that.

1) I was invited

2) I wrote to decline, saying it would be perfect but I don't have Photoshop at this point

3) They wrote back saying the laughed so hard at my reason why I couldn't apply made them want to talk to me, Photoshop was no problem

4) We talked on the phone; they outlined what they had in mind, I took notes. Most of it was Admin, emailing and social media presence for them. Some research was to be involved. Was told work diary would be fine

6) Waited 3 days to accept because I just wasn't sure of this...

7) Accepted

8) After I accepted, they gave me two research projects which were not on their list of topics

8) After I accepted they decided screen shots was they way to go

So, that's the entire story. I was trying to hurry while writing it. This person seems all over the place and not really sure of what direction they want to take. Which is why I don't want the position. I don't think I'm it's a VA job at all. I think it's a person who's confused about what direction they want to take in order to see if a company is feasible.

Hope I explained it better. And no, I haven't used my JSS status to erase any bad reviews. I'll have to read how that works.

And yes, I think a nicely worded note before I end the contract would be the kindest thing to do.

Thanks again~

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 17

re: "So I can just talk to this person, tell them I'm not the right fit and it won't affect my status of 100% *at all*?"

Nobody said that. It might affect your status. It might not.

re: "I won't get in any trouble by Upwork? Really?"

Yes. Really.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS