๐Ÿˆ
ยป Forums ยป Freelancers ยป ๐Ÿค” Don't you hate closing contracts quickly a...
Page options
hidemi-takagi
Community Member

๐Ÿค” Don't you hate closing contracts quickly after a project is done?

I am wondering if other freelancers feel as I do in regards to Upwork strong push to quickly close contracts after a project is done.

what do you think.jpg

I am a top-rated freelancer with hundreds of feedbacks and (up to 2 weeks ago) 100% JSS and was demoted lately to 96% due to some contracts that have been sitting idle for quite some time. 

Regardless of how the project ends, sometimes it is actually very comfortable to leave a project idle for a few months to let the client have an option to add a milestone if any issue comes up. More than that, "demanding" or even "suggesting firmly" a quick closure of the contract at the moment the project reached its final milestone honestly feel a bit strange, and even after a few months, it sometimes feels like "I want to cut the cord" with the client just to stay with Upwork policy of closing contracts as soon as possible or my JSS will turn ugly pretty quickly.

I mean, there are so many reasons why its good that a contract is sitting idle, and none of them has anything to do with lowering your JSS score as far as I can see it.

1.  A client "got what they want" and don't really care anymore about closing a contract

2. A project ended but the client is now "feel secure" when the contract is not closed and at any time they can go back to the chat and get new things done or fixed

3. An idle contract is also an opportunity for a new milestone at a certain time in the future as not all projects really NEED TO END, and some projects have a very good chance to get a new milestone 6 months along the road when certain elements in the project need renewals or update.

4. Pushing a client to close a contract before they feel comfortable to do it, feels like you just want to move away from the relationship you forged with them rather than evolve this business relationship further. A much more comfortable way to close a contract at the end of a project is when the time comes for a new contract, AT THAT TIME, ask the client to close the old project and start a new contract. This is the best timing to do it naturally and comfortably in many cases.

I can go on and on with more and more subtle but as important reasons why a contract needs to stay alive after a project is done in some cases, but I will stop here. Please remember, I am not saying that ALL CONTRACTS needs to stay alive after it is done, in many cases, the contracts ends perfectly with the client EXCITED to close it and give 5-star feedback (and get one back) - but for those special projects that are sitting idle for one of the many reasons they are, it should not pull a top-rated Upwork freelancer JSS down and DEMOTE the freelancer pretty much - all for the sake of trying to keep a client happy and a business relationship healthy.

Yes, it is a tricky thing with this issue, but unless there is a REAL REASON why Upwork is pushing so hard for us to close contracts quickly, I do not understand why it has to even be part of the JSS and it should be left out of it and allow us to manage it with the clients properly and gently without any "rush to closing" attitude.

Sorry about the long rant, but I had to take it out of my chest.

What do you think?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi All,

A few posts have been removed from this thread as they were in violation of the Community Guidelines. Please, refrain from making personal attacks when posting in this Community even when you disagree with another person's opinion or experience.

I'd also like to confirm that open contracts without recent payments do become included in the calculation. However, it's only one of the many factors that go into the calculation. The Why did my Job Success Score change? section of this help article lists other potential reasons.

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

45 REPLIES 45
tlsanders
Community Member

I don't care to leave things hanging open cluttering up my project lists, personally.

And, the last thing I want is a client creating a new milestone six months down the road without consulting me--no reason you can't open a new contract in that situation, which gives you the opportunity to accept or reject based on your schedule. 

Fortunately, though, we all get to make our own decisions, since Upwork absolutely does not in any way encourage you to close contracts "quickly." 

Under some circumstances, if it's a large percentage of your recent jobs, contracts hanging open after you've been paid on them can start to have a negative impact, but it takes months.

Seeing a contract closed is the best part about being a freelancer.

Why is that, Preston?

Why a closed contract is such an achievement of a lifetime we should aspire to exactly?  

I want contracts to go on forever rather than close any.

Winning the next piece of work from an existing client is the best part of being a freelancer.

John B wrote:

Winning the next piece of work from an existing client is the best part of being a freelancer.

that is the right way to look at it and not "Seeing a contract closed is the best part about being a freelancer."

nice one, John.  I like it. it totally reflects how I feel.  Winning the next piece of work, whether it is a new milestone or a new contract is the best part of being a freelancer.

tlbp
Community Member

I've never felt pressure to close a contract quickly. I close them when I want to. 

Hi Tonya,

here is the part of the chat I had with support and you can see what I mean -- Upwork has a "best practice" policy of closing contracts or your JSS will be lowered.

This is exactly the issue.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Tiffany - you got that wrong "..Fortunately, though, we all get to make our own decisions, since Upwork absolutely does not in any way encourage you to close contracts "quickly.""  

Actually they do. I had a long chat with Upwork support and they are strongly encouraging to close contracts quickly and to let the client they can "rehire" at any time, as "rehire" is a plus on your JSS.

They even suggested to me that they will send the clients request to close the contract on my behalf.

Hidemi T wrote:

Tiffany - you got that wrong "..Fortunately, though, we all get to make our own decisions, since Upwork absolutely does not in any way encourage you to close contracts "quickly.""  

Actually they do. I had a long chat with Upwork support and they are strongly encouraging to close contracts quickly and to let the client they can "rehire" at any time, as "rehire" is a plus on your JSS.

They even suggested to me that they will send the clients request to close the contract on my behalf.

I usually have a bunch of open contracts, and it has never affected my JSS. I currently have six open, three of which I haven't worked on since last year. I don't feel like I'm under any pressure to close them. 

I just looked at your profile, though, and it says that you have 24 jobs in progress, and it's obvious that you haven't worked on some of these since 2016/2017. That's quite a large number of open jobs. If you encourage your clients to close contracts, they have to leave you feedback. The other advantage of not leaving lots of contracts open is that clients might think you're actually working on 24 jobs right now, and they'll worry that you're too busy to take on more work.

Hidemi T wrote:

So, you're saying that if you call up Upwork and ask them if you should close your contract they strongly encourage it? That's very different from having any kind of public policy, posted information, general advice to freelancers or elements in the JSS algorithm that encourage it.

Tiffany S wrote:

So, you're saying that if you call up Upwork and ask them if you should close your contract they strongly encourage it? That's very different from having any kind of public policy, posted information, general advice to freelancers or elements in the JSS algorithm that encourage it.

That's exactly what I felt. My JSS dropped from 100 to 96 suddenly out of nowhere, so I contacted them right away and asked what is the problem, I thought maybe there is some issue I am not aware of, and the tech support person told me that all he can see that nothing but those idle contracts has any negative effect on my JSS so his advice was to contact one by one all those clients and ask to close the idle contracts.

I thought it was weird - but regardless, I contacted clients I haven't been in touch in some while and asked if they can close the contracts politely. 3 clients agreed right away, but the rest simply did not reply. 
2 days later my JSS on "My Stats" page got extra point to 97% (although it is not reflected in my profile page yet - I assume it will soon) but it showed me that indeed those idle contracts weight quite heavy on the JSS score!  

Since then, I made sure to close 2 contracts that ended this week just to avoid such problem in the future but I can not do anything for other contracts that a client do not reply to, if I will close it, and the client iwll not leave feedback, that's another JSS hit... 

IMHO - I am not sure why we have to be put in this position at all. If the client did not close the contract, have their score drop, not ours.

Hidemi T wrote:

2 days later my JSS on "My Stats" page got extra point to 97% (although it is not reflected in my profile page yet - I assume it will soon) but it showed me that indeed those idle contracts weight quite heavy on the JSS score!  

No.

They do not.  If your JSS improved it's because you got good feedback, not because idle contracts were hurting. Idle contracts with money paid (at some point in the past) do not hurt your JSS at all unless you have a literally HUGE percentage of such contracts.

Nor do contracts that close without feedback provided some money was paid at some point.

There are two things that have a negative effect on your JSS: Poor private feedback and contracts that have never had anything paid, closed with poor or no private feedback or open for 2+ months.

In virtually all cases that's it.

Chances are one of the contracts that closed in the 2 weeks before Sunday's update closed with less than stellar private feedback and that's what made your JSS drop. You can't fall from 100% to 97% suddenly because of idle contracts. You have contracts that have been idle for years, some going back to 2016. They'd have hurt you by now if they were going to hurt you.

Tiffany S wrote:

I don't care to leave things hanging open cluttering up my project lists, personally.

And, the last thing I want is a client creating a new milestone six months down the road without consulting me--no reason you can't open a new contract in that situation, which gives you the opportunity to accept or reject based on your schedule. 

Fortunately, though, we all get to make our own decisions, since Upwork absolutely does not in any way encourage you to close contracts "quickly." 

Under some circumstances, if it's a large percentage of your recent jobs, contracts hanging open after you've been paid on them can start to have a negative impact, but it takes months.

I have several open contracts with long-term clients I don't hear from for months. I have never had one open a new milestone without discussing it with me first.

Some of my clients keep our contracts open because they maintain websites as hobbyists and only work on them once in a blue moon. By keeping the contract open, they know they can find me quickly and easily whenever they feel like they want a new article.  The fact they want to keep me easily accessible should be looked upon favorably and not be cause to lower my JSS.

Some clients just don't want to be bothered with details like closing a contract once they get what they want. Why that should reflect negatively on a freelancer, I can't imagine.

Melanie M wrote:

The fact they want to keep me easily accessible should be looked upon favorably and not be cause to lower my JSS.

It doesn't lower your JSS. You have 18 open contracts and 100% JSS, so why do you think that it's negatively affecting you?

Christine A wrote:

Melanie M wrote:

The fact they want to keep me easily accessible should be looked upon favorably and not be cause to lower my JSS.

It doesn't lower your JSS. You have 18 open contracts and 100% JSS, so why do you think that it's negatively affecting you?

Exactly my point!

Why it does not affect her JSS with 18 contracts open while I get minus 4 points for open contracts

The fact that the tech support person said that idle contracts do affect your JSS is so fraustrating as it does to some and not to others...

Melanie M wrote:

Some of my clients keep our contracts open because they maintain websites as hobbyists and only work on them once in a blue moon. By keeping the contract open, they know they can find me quickly and easily whenever they feel like they want a new article.  The fact they want to keep me easily accessible should be looked upon favorably and not be cause to lower my JSS.

Some clients just don't want to be bothered with details like closing a contract once they get what they want. Why that should reflect negatively on a freelancer, I can't imagine.

----

I agree with you 100%!

That is exactly what shocked me, since leaving contracts open has so many reasons which are all legitimate reason and are not any freelancer "fault" --- some clients simply LIKE IT when a contract is still open - it gives them the feeling "we are working" together even though the project ended and every now and then they come up with a new idea for a new milestone.

and as you said, so clients - after they "got what they need" -- simply feel annoyed if I keep asking "can you close the contract please?"  -- it feels like such a drag to do so when you know the client has already moved on.  Of course, some clients, most of them, are happily closing the contract and excited to leave feedback, but with those who doesn't -- that is no reason whatsoever to lower my JSS as if I am the one who did not close the contract...  not sure what Upwork gain from such a strange algorithm calculations factor.

Did you check the "Clients who would recommend you" and "Long-term clients" on your stats? Did they change resently? They are also part of the JSS.

Besides that I agree with you that forcing the end of a business relation ship is not the best move. Most of my contracts start with a small job and then have multiple milestones. As a client I feel like I was just an obligation the freelancer had to work off before "pressuring" me into leaving a feedback.

Jennifer R wrote:

Did you check the "Clients who would recommend you" and "Long-term clients" on your stats? Did they change resently? They are also part of the JSS.

Besides that I agree with you that forcing the end of a business relation ship is not the best move. Most of my contracts start with a small job and then have multiple milestones. As a client I feel like I was just an obligation the freelancer had to work off before "pressuring" me into leaving a feedback.

Yes, I checked it and the "Clients who would recommend you" stay the same in the past few years around the 95% and Long Term Clients got slightly down when I got 2-3 clients to close those contracts this week but other than that nothing really changes when my JSS dropped from 100% to 96% 2 weeks ago.  It did slightly go up to 97% this week.

I am going to make sure from now on to try my best to find a comfortable way to close contracts with clients - even if I feel they want it to stay open, it just doesn't worth it if Upwork hit my JSS for leaving contracts open.

As for past clients whom I have contacted back but have not replied, I will just have to wait it through until those contracts will be 2 years old - as I am not going to close contracts from my end - it will hurt my JSS even more.

ohh.... just sucks to deal with such silly things instead of focus on work.  this JSS hit I got 2 weeks ago got my a whole day of stomach pain and elevated my coronavirus anxiety a little  lol 

Hidemi T wrote:

Yes, I checked it and the "Clients who would recommend you" stay the same in the past few years around the 95%

Take another look.... 

I am not going to close contracts from my end - it will hurt my JSS even more.

No, neither idle contracts nor closing contracts yourself hurts your JSS.

Poor private feedback and contracts with nothing ever paid hurt your JSS.

Petra R wrote:

Hidemi T wrote:

Yes, I checked it and the "Clients who would recommend you" stay the same in the past few years around the 95%

Take another look.... 

I am not going to close contracts from my end - it will hurt my JSS even more.

No, neither idle contracts nor closing contracts yourself hurts your JSS.

Poor private feedback and contracts with nothing ever paid hurt your JSS.

Think about it, Petra -- if I close the contract on my end because the client did not reply when I requested to close the contract, they will also not bother to leave feedback, and that will hurt the JSS. 

Petra R wrote:
>> Take another look.... 

What does that suppose to mean? 

Hidemi T wrote:

Think about it, Petra -- if I close the contract on my end because the client did not reply when I requested to close the contract, they will also not bother to leave feedback, and that will hurt the JSS. 

Contracts that are closed without feedback from a client do not affect your JSS.

Hidemi T wrote:

What does that suppose to mean? 

If it was 95% last time you looked, you may want to look again

Hidemi T wrote:

Jennifer R wrote:

Yes, I checked it and the "Clients who would recommend you" stay the same in the past few years around the 95% and Long Term Clients got slightly down when I got 2-3 clients to close those contracts this week but other than that nothing really changes when my JSS dropped from 100% to 96% 2 weeks ago.  It did slightly go up to 97% this week.

I am going to make sure from now on to try my best to find a comfortable way to close contracts with clients - even if I feel they want it to stay open, it just doesn't worth it if Upwork hit my JSS for leaving contracts open.

As for past clients whom I have contacted back but have not replied, I will just have to wait it through until those contracts will be 2 years old - as I am not going to close contracts from my end - it will hurt my JSS even more.

ohh.... just sucks to deal with such silly things instead of focus on work.  this JSS hit I got 2 weeks ago got my a whole day of stomach pain and elevated my coronavirus anxiety a little  lol 

Open contracts on which you were paid before do not hurt your JSS. Ignore any advise you received by CS.

Actually, the JSS page seems to change a lot lately. But it does not really tell you if an idle contract is good or bad for your JSS.

Screenshot_2020-05-12 Job Success Score.png

Jennifer R wrote:

Open contracts on which you were paid before do not hurt your JSS. Ignore any advise you received by CS.

Actually, the JSS page seems to change a lot lately. But it does not really tell you if an idle contract is good or bad for your JSS.

It's said that for ages. It does not mean a contract where money was paid will HURT your JSS, just that it's included in the calculation as a contract. Idle contracts are neutral, as are contracts that end without feedback, provided money was ever paid. 

Petra R wrote:

Idle contracts are neutral, as are contracts that end without feedback, provided money was ever paid. 

Idle contracts are neutral?    This is the whole issue, that they are not.

as are contracts that end without feedback, provided money was ever paid.  -- that is one of the definitions of idle contract.. it will affect your JSS.

Jennifer R wrote:

exactly. in other words, idle contracts are going to weight down on the JSS... what a disappointment and headache to deal with. the client needs to be panelized for it, not us.

Hidemi T wrote:

...exactly. in other words, idle contracts are going to weight down on the JSS... 

... as are contracts that end without feedback, provided money was ever paid.  -- that is one of the definitions of idle contract.. it will affect your JSS.

No and No.

"Idle contracts" are open contracts with no work done for a long time

"contracts that end without feedback arec ontracts that, urm, ENDED without feedback from the client. Closed contracts.

Neither hurt your JSS

But it seems you desperately want to cling on to the belief that it's idle contracts or contracts without feedback that affected your JSS, rather than entertain the possibility that occasionally a client wasn't 100% happy.

Hidemi T wrote:
Maria, I posted this question and heard you and Petra. Thank you so much for your help and knowledge- itโ€™s invaluable

I realise that this was intended to be sarcastic, but people have indeed tried to explain the situation to you. Petra asked you a question, which you still haven't answered - is your "clients who would recommend me score" still 95%? If not, then that would explain why your JSS has declined. 

And again, this is a public forum - you may not want to hear from anyone who disagrees with you, but when somebody is spreading incorrect information, others will try to correct them for the benefit of anybody else who may be reading. You've already seen another poster in this thread who has 18 open contracts and 100% JSS, so why do you think that is?

Hidemi T wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Hidemi T wrote:

exactly. in other words, idle contracts are going to weight down on the JSS... 

No.

But it seems you desperately want to cling on to the belief that it's idle contracts or contracts without feedback that affected your JSS, rather than entertain the possibility that occasionally a client wasn't 100% happy.

OK, since you've invited additional input, I'll offer some. I have had 100% JSS since sometime in 2017. During that time, I have had several (up to half a dozen or more, out of a total fewer than 50 contracts) sit idle for months and even years after the work was completed. This happened for various reasons. Some were small, one-off projects and the clients disappeared before I got around to reminding them about closing the contracts. Some were repeat clients who hate dealing w/ the UW platform and tend to leave a contract open until they are ready to start a new project with a fresh contract at which point I remind them (and sometimes they close the old one and sometimes they don't). I have to assume that open, idle contracts do NOT have an immediate and discernible negative impact on JSS unless you accumulate a large proportion of them relative to your total base.

If I ran my business per advice and recommendations coming out of Upwork CSS, I'd have been broke and hungry long ago. The reps do the best they can but they do not have the depth or breadth of understanding about how the JSS actually works, that you will find among veteran FLs here in the forum. And of everyone here, Petra has the most experience and the most useful insights of anyone.

Any time your JSS changes, check your 'clients who would recommend you' percentage first. It updates on a different cycle than the JSS number. Also, check to see if projects have aged out of the 24-month window. That can nudge your JSS up or down, depending on what else happened in that update cycle.

You can take or leave my comments, as you please. Just know that taking potshots at the messengers when you don't like the message only reflects on you.

I posted this question because after checking all my data and consulting with Upwork support who are usually very knowledgeable and in the many years I am on the platform always have me accurate and informative information- And nothing was suggesting the usual suspect of low JSS such as client who recommended you (it actually went up a notch), I did not get anything but 5 stars feedbacks - and as far as I know, I would be surprised if a client has left me negative private feedback.

The only thing that seems to be โ€œout of orderโ€ is those idle projects which as you mentioned has so many reasons for and none of them are negative, just part of the process - which really surprised me when the support person which I quoted earlier but it was removed by a moderator - that said that this is probably the issue and I should focus on trying to close those โ€œidlesโ€ and that will get my score back up.

I also remembered that the JSS is now weigh heavier on higher dollar price contracts and some of the idle contracts were carrying a higher dollar price indeed so I was trying to figure out if the combination of the high price contract and idle contract might be so impactful that it can drop your JSS from 100 to 96 over night. It just felt a bit too harsh.

And last, to your comment about me taking potshots at the messenger - cool analogy but nothing to do with what was going on here, I can take any comment as long as it is intelligent and cool. And yes, I will define whatโ€™s cool by my own standards and no one elseโ€™s and if I feel that princess Petra is not cool, I will ask her to take it elsewhere - politely.

Hidemi T wrote:
I posted this question because after checking all my data 

So you DID check your "clients who would recommend" rating (today?) and it's still 95%? Because your star feedback doesn't count for much; it's the private feedback that causes your JSS to decline.

The person that you talked to at support was probably trying suggest that if you closed some idle contracts (thereby forcing the clients to leave feedback), that could raise your JSS score - but only because you would then (presumably) have more good feedback to counteract any negative private reviews, not because the idle contracts were hurting you. And you said that when you did do that, your score went up by 1%; so again, this because you got positive feedback reviews, not because you closed the contracts. Did the CS rep actually say the words, "Leaving contracts idle will cause your JSS to decline"?

Yes, I did check and as I said it actually up by one percent but tell me something- letโ€™s say that a client give you 5 stars feedback but privately give you negative feedback - and since the drop was from 100 to 96 - I had only one client closing a contract on that 2 weeks period - although it is truly hard for me to conceive that such a satisfied client will have any reason to do that - do you think it has such weight that one client feedback would affect your JSS so drastically? (It wasnโ€™t even a high dollar price project, just a couple of hundred dollars + surprising 40% extra bonus at the end)

Hidemi T wrote:
Yes, I did check and as I said it actually up by one percent but tell me something- letโ€™s say that a client give you 5 stars feedback but privately give you negative feedback - and since the drop was from 100 to 96 - I had only one client closing a contract on that 2 weeks period - although it is truly hard for me to conceive that such a satisfied client will have any reason to do that - do you think it has such weight that one client feedback would affect your JSS so drastically? (It wasnโ€™t even a high dollar price project, just a couple of hundred dollars + surprising 40% extra bonus at the end)

The "clients who would recommend" score doesn't update at the same rate as the JSS rate - this is precisely to make it difficult for you to know exactly which client may have left you bad private feedback (that's to keep it "private"). So it probably wasn't the client who gave you a bonus. But yes, one bad private feedback review is enough to sink you by a few percentage points; I went from 100% to 97% a few months ago from the effect of one bad review. If you think you know which client it was, you might be able to use your feedback removal "perk" to have the effect of that contract removed.

Wow, I had no idea how much weight one client has on the JSS with the private feedback. It also make total sense to not sync the JSS and client feedbacks effect - maybe a delay of a certain unspecified or random period will prevent a freelancer from knowing who gave them the negative back end feedback - but yes, I actually can think of one, maybe the only one I had somehow strange ending to a project in the past year or two- and although I got 5 stars feedback - I had a feeling this type of a person might feedback differently privately. When you have a long time client, you get to know them and that was one of the main reasons I wanted to end that contract. Itโ€™s probably one of the only contract I thought was not healthy due to the client type which I found out only after getting involved in work.

Your suggestion to use my privilege to remove a feedback is excellent idea. If I go with that and the JSS will go back to 100 - it will indeed be a bullseye on what happened overnight two weeks ago.

Thank you, Christine. I will give it a go.

To your question Christine (Did the CS rep actually say the words, "Leaving contracts idle will cause your JSS to decline"?)

Yes they did, and I tried to copy/paste it here in reply to Petra remarks that it has no effect on the JSS but it was removed by moderator or a bot-moderations

Regardless, the support person explicitly said it does effect the JSS negatively - and thatโ€™s the whole reason why I started this thread, to understand how heavy it affects others.
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi All,

A few posts have been removed from this thread as they were in violation of the Community Guidelines. Please, refrain from making personal attacks when posting in this Community even when you disagree with another person's opinion or experience.

I'd also like to confirm that open contracts without recent payments do become included in the calculation. However, it's only one of the many factors that go into the calculation. The Why did my Job Success Score change? section of this help article lists other potential reasons.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria K wrote:

I'd also like to confirm that open contracts without recent payments do become included in the calculation. However, it's only one of the many factors that go into the calculation.  

Thank you for your reply Valeria. 

My understanding was correct after the discussion with support was as I was told that  "open jobs without consistent earnings (idle jobs)" are affecting the JSS. 

I got attacked by some of the "Gurus" here for stating the information I received from support that idle contracts do affect the JSS - and now when you confirmed it as well - ("..open contracts without recent payments do become included in the calculation" ) make me wonder how much weight does it have on the JSS - as it is just a part of the whole algorithm but can it be that heavy that it will drop overnight a 100% JSS to 96% if the idle contract has a high dollar value?

or maybe I can rephrase it better - do you think the combination of the newly revised high dollar value contracts weight on the JSS calculations parameters in combination with the fact that idle contracts are affecting the JSS - can give such idle contract heavy pull on the JSS? 

Hidemi T wrote:

do you think the combination of the newly revised high dollar value contracts weight on the JSS calculations parameters in combination with the fact that idle contracts are affecting the JSS - can give such idle contract heavy pull on the JSS?  

Hidemi,

We won't be able to share such details about the way a specific contract affects the score. We need to maintain some privacy with this metric to ensure fairness and accuracy.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria K wrote:

[โ€ฆ] I'd also like to confirm that open contracts without recent payments do become included in the calculation. [โ€ฆ]

I guess the next question would be: how does Upwork define 'recent'? One of my jobs has had its last payment in January 2018, and I'm at 100% for several weeks now.

bizwriterjohn
Community Member

"suggesting firmly" a quick closure of the contract at the moment the project reached its final milestone honestly feel a bit strange,

We can bypass "firmly" -- "structured" is the correct concept.

Have an end of project check call -- which should be done anyway -- this is the right time to remind the client our JSS is our most important asset and ask if they would take a moment after the call to shut the project down and issue a rating.  Do not suggest to make it "good" or whatever.  Just work the process.  Put them in an immediate position with their attention engaged to take care of their responsibilities as a good client.

Suggestions otherwise -- this never mention JSS or use a structured technique to close a project down -- contradict the approaches professional consulting firms including KPMG.  Ernst, Price, Deloitte, Accenture, CapG and every other large-scale, uber-professional consulting organization. That's about 1 million consultant worth of horsepower and knowledge.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members