🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Donation for Covid-19
Page options
sudip-debnath
Community Member

Donation for Covid-19

I am asking my clients for donations for Covid-19 affected people. If the client wants to donate via PayPal then will it keep any effect on my Upwork account? Because the donation will be held outside of Upwork.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
a_lipsey
Community Member

Aside from the Upwork issues, are you a licensed professional solicitor affiliated with a nonprofit organization?  

You may mean well, but that's what a scam looks like. As Petra said, it's very unprofessional. If you are raising money for a charity then you would be affiliated with that charity and directing donations directly to the charity. Handling them yourself, in the US, presents numerous issues. 

And  while I am not familiar with the charitable giving laws of countries besides the US, I'm sure there are laws surrounding that and income tax, that you could be liable for. 

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
petra_r
Community Member

Sudip D wrote:

I am asking my clients for donations for Covid-19 affected people. I

I strogly urge you not to do that. It's deeply unprofessional and clients will hopefully report you and then you are removed from the platform.

There are enough proper and legitimate organisations clients can choose to donate to.

Sudip D wrote:

If the client wants to donate via PayPal then will it keep any effect on my Upwork account? Because the donation will be held outside of Upwork.

Yes, it is a violation of the terms of service and enough to permantly remove you from the platform.

Do not ask clients for donations, ever.

Do not accept any funds outside the plateform, ever.

I already did that. so what can I do now for my account safety? 

I have deleted all message what I send to my clients. but 1 of my client asks my PayPal account. Then I told him to give money via Upwork. 

What should I do now for my account safety?

Sudip D wrote:

I have deleted all message what I send to my clients. but 1 of my client asks my PayPal account. Then I told him to give money via Upwork. 

No. Apologize to the client for being so unprofessional and tell the client to donate to a charity of their choice instead.

Do not accept that money. 

Sudip D wrote:

Never behave in such a disgraceful manner again and hope that none of the other clients reports you.

I just tell him to donate the money to a charity.  And don't send any money to me. I also say sorry for asking the donate. Is it okay now? 

Actually the client asked me for my PayPal account. Not me.

Should I contact with Upwork Support for this issue?

Sudip D wrote:

Should I contact with Upwork Support for this issue?

No.

Thanks

florydev
Community Member

This whole thing made me think about those change jars for that some stores have for charities here in the US and how some of the turned out to be scams.

Sudip D wrote:

Ask Upwork to close your account because
**Edited for Community Guidelines**.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

10 of 14 

Sudip D wrote:

Ask Upwork to close your account because
**Edited for Community Guidelines**.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

^ I don't even know what René wrote that was deleted, but I am sure that I agree with it!
a_lipsey
Community Member

Aside from the Upwork issues, are you a licensed professional solicitor affiliated with a nonprofit organization?  

You may mean well, but that's what a scam looks like. As Petra said, it's very unprofessional. If you are raising money for a charity then you would be affiliated with that charity and directing donations directly to the charity. Handling them yourself, in the US, presents numerous issues. 

And  while I am not familiar with the charitable giving laws of countries besides the US, I'm sure there are laws surrounding that and income tax, that you could be liable for. 

I understand all. And I have deleted all message what I have sent to my clients.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

HI Sudip,

While your intentions may be good, Upwork Messages with your clients isn't an appropriate place to ask for donations, as other have already noted on this thread. Making and accepting payments outside of Upwork would be considered circumvention (unless a contract has been officially moved outside Upwork following the process described here.) You may look into platforms that specialize in donations, crowdfunding or assisting charities. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi Valeria,

Thanks for your reply.  Actually  I did not know about the donation law. That's why I asked for the donation via Upwork. But a client asks me for my Paypal account. Not me. And I already told him that we should not do it.  And I told him to don't give me any money.

But I am afraid if my account will be affected by our conversation.

Asking for a donation would be such a turn-off for me as a client.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths