🐈 Community

Dormand Contracts

I have two inactive contracts. Efforts of telling the client to end the contracts are futile. 

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r

@Albina A wrote:

I have two inactive contracts. Efforts of telling the client to end the contracts are futile. 

Then end them, one at a time, with a couple or so successfully closed contracts in between.

wlyonsatl

I probably close an average of 2 - 3 inactive projects (no communication with the client for at least two months) every month.

I ask them at least three times if there is more to be done on the project, tell them in the third message I will mark the project as closed on X date if I don't hear from them, but will be happy to re-start at any time. And I give them no higher than a 3-star rating for communication in my feedback for them.

There is no good reason Upwork should penalize freelancers for closing inactive projects, but some people think they do.

@Will L wrote:

There is no good reason Upwork should penalize freelancers for closing inactive projects, but some people think they do.

I believe (but this is an educated guess, not a "I know") that it used to affect the JSS more originally, but no longer does. (Unless you have a significant percentage of such contracts.)

People like to blame such things for their poor JSS when really they copped bad feedback (public and / or private) but it's much easier on the old ego to blame open or "no feedback" contracts.

As close as you are to Upwork, Petra, if you don't know what the truth is in this respect no one who is a mere freelancer here can know.

The lack of transparency of what does and does not factor into the calculation of the JSS is one of its biggest weaknesses. 

@Will L wrote:

if you don't know what the truth is in this respect no one who is a mere freelancer here can know.

Will, I always put a disclaimer unless I am 100% certain. I am 99% certain in this case, hence the disclaimer 😉