Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Down AGAIN?!

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
11 of 49

Hi All,

We are currently experiencing site issues and apologize for the inconvenience it is causing you. Our engineers are working to bring the site back up as soon as possible. Please, check this status page for updates.

We appreciate your patience.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Signe J Member Since: Jan 29, 2016
12 of 49

Every day, Valeria. EVERY DAY we receive multiple apologies from Upwork. I know this isn't your fault, and I'm not aiming it at you personally, but it needs to be said. We never hear any actual information on what's going on, why we're having propblems, why we can't work, why we can't uphold our promises to clients, when the problems will be fixed, or what Upwork is doing to prevent future problems.

Ever day, it's always just, "We're sorry." I don't believe that anymore. I used to believe that the apology was sincere, but after months of constant daily problems, I don't. If Upwork was sorry, it would fix the problems -- really fix them, not band-aid them and make more problems. 

I give 10% of my income to this site. It's astounding to me that Upwork don't seem to care about creating a stable platform so that I can make even more money, in order to give Upwork even more money. It's a mind-boggling business model. Truly.

Highlighted
Community Guru
13 of 49

The Facebook message -- posted in a public space where all can see, so this shouldn't be a TOS violation -- is: "Hi everyone, apologies for the interruption. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties with the Upwork website. Our technical team is investigating the issue and we will be back up as soon as possible. Please visit https://status.upwork.com/ for the latest status."

My response on there -- also in a public space -- is: "And in the mean time, I'm supposed to waste my morning clicking the "refresh" button every three seconds in hopes that I can finally work on my project, all while not getting paid for the time I'm spending trying to work on my project? That's lovely."

That's what it comes down to. I am now a slave to my "refresh" button. I can't work, but I also can't do the other things I was supposed to do after finishing the project (grocery store, post office, bank). These outages are basically theft of my time. I can't leave my computer screen in case the site is back up, but I also can't get paid for the time I'm spending on Upwork trying to do my work. It's ridiculous.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
14 of 49

This is simply not acceptable anymore. You run this mysterious and ambiguous "job success score", where we don't even know exactly what goes into them, and then you consistently fail to provide the platform that contributes to anything that even resembles achieving job success. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Saif Ur R Member Since: Oct 7, 2015
15 of 49

Dear Valeria ,

Apologize and site system down is acceptable but repeated its not acceptable , kindly improve Upwork.com site system and over all GUI .

Thank you,

Saif

Highlighted
Community Guru
Steven E. L Member Since: May 5, 2015
16 of 49

"Rest assured that time logged through the Team App will be recorded."

I'm not resting assured. The time tracker won't even remain online to store a cache.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
17 of 49

"The Upwork site is down for scheduled maintenance. Shouldn't be long. Check back soon.""

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Community Guru
18 of 49

Isabelle: Just when I thought my frustration levels couldn't get any higher, you've demonstrated to me that they can. Wow. I'm pretty sure that if Upwork doesn't fix its problems in the next few months, I'm going to have a major coronary episode. It's times like these when I regret not working a corporate job with healthcare benefits.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
19 of 49

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:

"The Upwork site is down for scheduled maintenance. Shouldn't be long. Check back soon.""

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

To me, this just makes the site look worse. If I log on to submit work (as I did this morning) and see that the site is down for purportedly scheduled maintenance, I'm wondering why, if it was scheduled, they didn't bother to notify us in advance to avoid the problems we're experiencing.

Of course, we know this one isn't scheduled, but I'd rather see that a site like this was experiencing problems than be told they'd scheduled downtime in the middle of my work day and not bothered to tell me. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
20 of 49

It also makes us look bad to our clients. I'm about to miss a deadline because of this outage, which is being acknowledged as unplanned on the Facebook page. If my client tries to log in at noon to retrieve my work and sees a "scheduled maintenance" error, he's going to think I'm disorganized and unable to plan. It's going to look like I am completely at fault, which I'm not. Seriously uncool.

Upwork needs to issue an apology to our clients and explain the situation so that freelancers don't come out looking bad. Of course, it's not going to happen...

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS