Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Down AGAIN?!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
21 of 49

@Signe J wrote:

It also makes us look bad to our clients. I'm about to miss a deadline because of this outage, which is being acknowledged as unplanned on the Facebook page. If my client tries to log in at noon to retrieve my work and sees a "scheduled maintenance" error, he's going to think I'm disorganized and unable to plan. It's going to look like I am completely at fault, which I'm not. Seriously uncool.

Upwork needs to issue an apology to our clients and explain the situation so that freelancers don't come out looking bad. Of course, it's not going to happen...

That's why it makes sense to exchange email addys, Skype nicks etc. at the beginning of contracts. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Signe J Member Since: Jan 29, 2016
22 of 49

Agreed, but sometimes clients are hesitant to do this. And anyway, we shouldn't have to develop all these tedious workarounds. The site should reliably do what it's supposed to do. I'm tired of needing to devise a backup method for just about every single function on this site because we can't trust the site to work. That's always how we're told to handle things: "Our team is workign on it, but until we fix it [which will probably be weeks or months from now if ever], use this workaround..." It's irritating.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
23 of 49

This wasn't schedule maintenance Isabelle. We didn't have the appropriate page showing for this unexpected incident. This wasn't an effort to deceive, just a matter of us having the wrong page showing. We'll fix this.

Highlighted
Community Guru
24 of 49

Garnor, please have Upwork inform our clients of this error, too, and apologize to them for the delay in service. It makes freelancers look REALLY bad when we appear to miss deadlines  because it seems as though we can't plan around scheduled outages. It's not fair that freelancers always come out of these way-too-frequent outages (and bugs!) looking like we're the ones who are screwing up, when 90% of the time it's the site that screws up.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
25 of 49

@Garnor M wrote:

This wasn't schedule maintenance Isabelle. We didn't have the appropriate page showing for this unexpected incident. This wasn't an effort to deceive, just a matter of us having the wrong page showing. We'll fix this.

The problem with this is that you guys don't ever notify the clients that there was an issue and the freelancer has to, once again, do all the work on behalf of Upwork.. In the work I do, I deal with brand new clients for a majority of my jobs. They log in only to talk to me because I am the only person they ever hired on here. So for me to say "the site was down... sorry" just sounds like an EXCUSE. They aren't going through the anxiety of waiting for this site to get up and running again like I am.. they aren't even trying. They likely don't even KNOW the site ever went down. You guys never take on the responsibilty of OWNING this and regularly speaking to your freelancers and clients and being honest about what is going on in this site. In the MONTHS this has been going on with this incredibly unstable site, I have seen only ONE message ever posted about it - in the forums - where so few people visit.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
26 of 49

@Garnor M wrote:

It's unfair to answer the question of one person in a 3 page thread and ignore all the other questions. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
27 of 49

"We'll be right back. Promise."

Can you imagine if you were at a restaurant and your waiter said that to you before disappearing for an hour? Or if your doctor said that, then walked out of the exam room and left you sitting on the table in that cold, scratchy paper gown for an hour?  Or the bank teller said it before disappearing into the vault for an hour after you handed over a check to be cashed? Or the daycare provider said it before retreating to the bathroom while leaving your toddler unattended for an hour?

Pretty hard to picture, isn't it? In any other line of service or professional work, this would be completely inexcusable, but it's a routine occurence here and we're all just supposed to put up with it. That says a lot about how much Upwork cares about the people who pay its bills by forfeiting 10% of their earnings.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
28 of 49

@Signe J wrote:

Garnor, please have Upwork inform our clients of this error, too, and apologize to them for the delay in service. It makes freelancers look REALLY bad when we appear to miss deadlines  because it seems as though we can't plan around scheduled outages. It's not fair that freelancers always come out of these way-too-frequent outages (and bugs!) looking like we're the ones who are screwing up, when 90% of the time it's the site that screws up.

Signe, don't waste your time answering to Upwork agents. At Upwork they are totally overwhelmed by the events. They are struggling with a poorly designed platform, probably spaghetti-coded, and they can only rely on remote IT team. Probably underpaid.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
29 of 49

I know you're right, Rene, but it's so frustrating that there is NOBODY to direct our legitimate concerns toward. Nobody. Ever. So, even though it's a total waste of time that goes nowhere, I do it anyway in the hopes that maybe, just maybe, just once, something will come of it. Hope springs eternal.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
30 of 49

Hi All,

The issue has been resolved and you should be able to access the site normally now. Please, let us know if you experience further issues.

Thank you very much for your patience.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS