🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Downsides of applying for the jobs at less th...
Page options
ceefaeca
Community Member

Downsides of applying for the jobs at less than profile's hourly rate?

Hi all

I am having 2 questions in the situations if I apply for some jobs at less than my hourly rate:

• -Will there be any negative impact? I am not talking about JSS here, but for my prospective clients. Suppose, I accept a job at 10USD/hr (which is very hard that I will do though), and my profile rate is 50USD/hr, will it give a bad message to my prospective clients?

• Is there anything like the average hourly charge which clients can see on freelancer's profiles? As we can see on the left corner in the job posting about clients?

I am just seeing some long term jobs (like those more than 6 months) which I am thinking to apply for, but worried if it will impact me professionally or I should do it? What are your opinions on this?

2 REPLIES 2
p_ramuka
Community Member

The pricing depends on lot of things. The rate you put in the profile is kind of a base rate. That this is the rate your experitise is atleast valued at. If you out $50 at profile rate and are ready to work at $10, then it does not make any sense. Plus the rate depends on work requirements, project length, your value delivery. Just remember, though giving quality work is a non-negotiable thing, but higher the price, higher the quality will be expected by client. Then, if you charge way higher then the most on your industry, then 1st client will expect quality service higher then provided by other industry experts, or, 2nd, will not approach you. So for starters, set the limit based on skill value and then negotiate based on other points.

I hope this will clear some idea for you.

Best of luck..!!

Trying to undercut on price can do more harm than good. It can make your services appear cheap while many clients are looking for quality over price.

Most clients tend to pay according to what they can afford to pay. Take a look at their profile and you will be able to see a range of what they are willing to pay. Trying to undercut this range will often not be successful. 

Undercutting also means you have a history of lower-paid jobs on your profile. A history of being paid more will give clients more confidence in your ability to deliver what they need. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members