metoinside

Dramatic Change on JSS

Hello eveyone,

This is Metin and I have been an Upworker for long time period.
I have had a %100 JSS but it has been down to %71 although there is no any specific reason.

Do you please share your findings on why it could be?
Thanks in advance

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Metin,

Please note that contracts for which no payment was received or was fully refunded are still included in the calculation. Also, contracts open for a long period of time without any activity can affect your Job Success Score negatively. Finally, in addition to public feedback clients also leave private feedback on contract, which is also one of the factors for calculating your score.

Untitled

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Metin,

Please note that contracts for which no payment was received or was fully refunded are still included in the calculation. Also, contracts open for a long period of time without any activity can affect your Job Success Score negatively. Finally, in addition to public feedback clients also leave private feedback on contract, which is also one of the factors for calculating your score.

Untitled

Good news everyone! It went back %100 again from previous percentage.

I was rising talent yet but I have 3 contracts waiting to close down for more than a year.
That was the reason we completed the work done and in case of any requirement or support in future I can bill my hours directly to the client. I didn't know that was effecting the JSS.

After I marked those agreements completed and delivering new contracts with high quality. My Job Success Score raised %100 again. I am very grateful for your comments to help me find out

@Metin A wrote:

That was the reason we completed the work done and in case of any requirement or support in future I can bill my hours directly to the client.

What do you mean by "directly?"

Well, It was an hourly job and time to time i was handling their custom procedures of the shipments in Turkey. It never ends actually, at the beginning of the contract there was high number of shipment delivering to Turkey but after certain time period it reduces but who knows when it appears. If there was a shipment, I was counting my hours to report

Hi Vladimir,

I contacted the support to ask just the same question and the support guy said that the opened contracts with no activity are not affecting the JSS. Now you're saying just the opposite.. I'm a little confused..

Best,

Dimitar

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Dimitar,

If you're referring to the request you submitted in February, I see our agent shared incorrect information. I apologize for the confusion and will make sure the agent is clear on the factors included in the calculation and the way they they affect the Job Success Score.

Untitled

Thanks Vladimir, i got that one. And i was living with that fact for 3-4 months.. But overall the JSS score forming is still a mystery for me, as i see for some of your team members too.. And as Petra said its so laconic - the opened inactive contract can affect my JSS score, but maybe it cant affect it at all. Maybe it depends if my account is strong or my health is strong or i'm eating more fruits in the summer..

All i want are the numbers and formulas that are explaining my JSS forming, not a crystal ball or something. I'll be glad if you can send me a link with the exact method of forming the JSS. Thank you.

Best,

Dimitar

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Dimitar,

We can't share all the details in order to protect the integrity of the score but you can find information about the way JSS is calculated in this Help articles and our replies in the Community. As long as you deliver great service to your clients, communicate with them regularly and make sure they close your contract once the job is completed, you'll be able to maintain a high Job Success Score. Focus on your contracts and you won't need to decipher the calculation algorithm.

Untitled

Integrity? What the word means if that is the way the site is judging all the freelancers?! The JSS score must be the clearest thing in the platform when its directly affecting the success of all of us. The things written in the help articles are like a tail for children - you should do like this and it'll hapen like that, without any details. That is just not serious..

Actually i've never had any problems with my clients (maybe just once when i used the feedback removal perk), but my JS Score dropped once with no obvious reason. When i asked the support why, they didn't answer exactly(maybe because of that integrity).

There are also some clients that are coming here and when their job is done, they're just leaving with no feedbacks or something. Why i should pay for that? We all just need a logical and simple explanation of how the things are working, not a complicated expanations and many excuses for the simple things. We're not politicians, right?

@Dimitar O wrote:

I contacted the support to ask just the same question and the support guy said that the opened contracts with no activity are not affecting the JSS. Now you're saying just the opposite.. I'm a little confused..

Yes they CAN affect your JSS but only after a lengthy period, and if you have a healthy number of success factors and few "no feedback" or "long term inactive" contracts the occasional (!) no activity one may not affect you at all.if the percentage of "no feedback" and / or long time inactive contracts is high, it WILL start having an affect.

johelbs

Hi Metin,

I checked your profile, and you certainly have a solid Work History and Feedback. Maybe those refunded contracts that Vladimir mentioned affected your JSS negatively —decline is dramatic, though. If you were Top Rated before this issue, I suggest you use the Feedback Removal Perk. You may still take advantage of this feature. I had a similar "frustrating" situation with my Job Success Score, as you don't have a clue of what's right or wrong. You need to know that Upwork's not able to do that much when it comes to JSS. There's always room for improvement, and Upwork should really consider improving JSS system.

Cheers!

If I'm not wrong you can't delete cancelled contracts. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

@Baris A wrote:

If I'm not wrong you can't delete cancelled contracts. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Under the perk you can have ANY contract outcome removed.

However, I doubt this JSS drop happened in the last 2 weeks, or that only one outcome was responsible. You only have 14 days from losing top rated to use the perk. I suspect the JSS did not drop from 100% to this in one whoosh..... 

@Petra R wrote:

@Baris A wrote:

Hello Petra,

Please check this thread, 3rd message (the one sent just after yours.) I'm still not sure though...

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Top-Rated-Perk-Feedback-Removal/m-p/359852

@Baris A wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

@Baris A wrote:

Hello Petra,

Please check this thread, 3rd message (the one sent just after yours.) I'm still not sure though...

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Top-Rated-Perk-Feedback-Removal/m-p/359852

Well, that certainly IS most peculiar, and I doubt that this is true. It makes no sense, either. 

@Petra R wrote:
I suspect the JSS did not drop from 100% to this in one whoosh..... 

Neither do I, tbh. Chances are slim, but today might be his lucky day. Smiley Very Happy