🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Dramatic Increase of Profile Views
Page options
tommy_f
Community Member

Dramatic Increase of Profile Views

"Never give up"

Hello! More and more am I getting serious about improving my Upwork experiences by making some changes here and there especially in writing proposals. 

In my stats, my profile discovery rate has been for the most part 0-1 per week. This past week it shot up to 10. 

How can I tell if this is related to my improved proposal writings or that I recently become certified in Google Analytics.

I want to make sure I focus on the right area for improvements.

Thank you

"To be, or not to be- that is the question: ..." Shakespeare
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tommy, 

I would also like to share that freelancers are regularly rotated in search results, and the order in the profiles are displayed will change every couple of weeks. That way, we want to make sure that every professional gets a chance to be discovered and every client finds what they are looking for.

If you want to stand out in the marketplace, you may benefit from reading the guides we collected here which share some tips on how you can create a unique profile. 

I hope this helps!

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
roberty1y
Community Member

It's unlikely your new certification would drive it up so dramatically. It probably had nothing to do with it. Profile views seem to fluctuate wildly with no connection to anything the freelancer has done. The way you write proposals would have nothing to do with it.

Thank you for the Robert. The reason that I thought the sudden spurt may have been correlative to some measurement of improvements made, because I never had that many views before. The most ever has 2-3 views. 

This outlier has lead me to deduce it to the changes that a freelancer control.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tommy, 

I would also like to share that freelancers are regularly rotated in search results, and the order in the profiles are displayed will change every couple of weeks. That way, we want to make sure that every professional gets a chance to be discovered and every client finds what they are looking for.

If you want to stand out in the marketplace, you may benefit from reading the guides we collected here which share some tips on how you can create a unique profile. 

I hope this helps!

~ Avery
Upwork
tommy_f
Community Member

Hi Avery,

Thank you for the explanations of how a factor in how profiles get prominent. 

With this information, I will now change my focus somewhat to streamline my goal to eventually become a successful freelancer.

Tommy F wrote:

Thank you for the Robert. The reason that I thought the sudden spurt may have been correlative to some measurement of improvements made, because I never had that many views before. The most ever has 2-3 views. 

This outlier has lead me to deduce it to the changes that a freelancer control.

Your assumption is wrong. Views don't count when you send a proposal. Those views came only from other freelancers looking at your profile since you asked for feedback. Those views will not convert into sales, unfortunately. 

So, basically we are going in "blind" as far as determining how many clients are actually viewing our profile.

This could have the potential to be an awesome tool to help determine the effectiveness of a one's profile. There need to be a filter on the views to determine if the pageviews are coming from the clients or not.

Thank you for the info.

Tommy F wrote:

So, basically we are going in "blind" as far as determining how many clients are actually viewing our profile.

This could have the potential to be an awesome tool to help determine the effectiveness of a one's profile. There need to be a filter on the views to determine if the pageviews are coming from the clients or not.

Thank you for the info.

I stand corrected by Petra. But anyways, those stats are really not helpful at all. Who cares how often your profile is seen, or how you compare to other (who?) freelancers in your field. The only thing that counts is getting an offer. 

Your profile is much improved, I think you're all set to write proposals and find clients now!

Martina P wrote:

Those views came only from other freelancers looking at your profile since you asked for feedback. 

This is not true.

"Views" in Stats are ONLY views from searches. Click-throughs from the forum do NOT count. (Nor, as you mentioned, do views from proposals).

Petra R wrote:

Martina P wrote:

Those views came only from other freelancers looking at your profile since you asked for feedback. 

This is not true.

"Views" in Stats are ONLY views from searches. Click-throughs from the forum do NOT count. (Nor, as you mentioned, do views from proposals).

Ah thanks! Learned something new today!

tlbp
Community Member

Tommy F wrote:

"Never give up"

Hello! More and more am I getting serious about improving my Upwork experiences by making some changes here and there especially in writing proposals. 

In my stats, my profile discovery rate has been for the most part 0-1 per week. This past week it shot up to 10. 

How can I tell if this is related to my improved proposal writings or that I recently become certified in Google Analytics.

I want to make sure I focus on the right area for improvements.

Thank you

Your best metric for assessing proposal performance is the number of interviews that result.

Profile views will only tell you about the effectiveness of your profile in search and, as others have pointed out, will be skewed by the profile rotation process. You can gain some insights by adjusting for the impact of rotations--but you'll need to track the numbers long enough to recognized the pattern.

A better metric for profile effectiveness is probably number of invites. But again, the algorithm isn't straightforward. Many of us suspect that you are more likely to be presented as an option to clients if you are actively seeking work (sending proposals). Thus, you are more likely to get invitations when you are sending proposals than if your activity is dormant. 

If you've read Joe Sugarman's "The Adweek Copywriting Handbook," you'll recognize this paraphrasing: The purpose of your proposal is to get the prospect to look at your profile. The purpose of your profile is to get them to schedule an interview. After that, it is up to you to close the deal. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths