🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Dry spell…is it all about boosting proposals?
Page options
chiara-franzo
Community Member

Dry spell…is it all about boosting proposals?

Hi, I know it’s a common issue, but I’d like to get some feedback from the community. I used to have a consistent stream of jobs on Upwork (not necessarily high-paying gigs or long projects, but it was not so difficult to land a job). The situation has completely changed since May, and I’ve only got 1 small project in 4 months… I have a project going on with an old client but I’m getting worried. I’ve never boosted my proposals because I don’t want to “waste” any connects, and also because I believe that all the serious clients don’t mind whether a proposal is boosted or not. I think that “quality clients" would read all the proposals (or at least a few) because it's obvious that anybody can spend some money and boost their profile, but it doesn't mean they're better than the other freelancers on the list. At least, for me it's pretty obvious, and that would be my personal approach if I were a client...I know it’s probably different in low-paying gigs, and the clients just scroll the first couple of proposals they get. What’s your opinion? Have you experienced a dry spell recently? I’m also getting very few invitations, and their quality is generally poor…is it a common situation, is it just bad luck, or is it my fault? I’ve been on Upwork since 2016, and it’s the first time I’ve been going through such a long dry spell (not even when I was just starting out)…thanks for your suggestions and feedback! Cheers, Chiara

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dustin_slack
Community Member

Hi Chiara, 

While we practice different disciplines, I'm in exactly the same situation as you - and we are not alone. I don't know if it helps, but yeah, boosting has done nothing for me. I only go for "quality clients" - clients that align with with my style of design, our goals, long term, has there stuff together. It's a waste of money. I remember, since 2016, I've never had a such a hard time landing a gig, whether it's a one off or a long term. I've tried both boosting and not boosting, in the end, same result - dry spell. 

I just wrote a very long detailed post about my experience and my frustration with Upwork in it's current form a couple of hours ago. Feel free to check it out, it might align with yours or you might have different thoughts. I'm open to any discussion about it. 

But yes, I am indeed going through what you are going through and for you and I, technically being Upwork veterans, this is out of control! The amount of money we've brought in to Upwork and now it's crickets. Literally feel disrespected. 

I'm trying to get these issues to upper management because something has to change. I'm all about change, but when it starts messing with your career, your money, the way you make a living - whatever you want to call it... it's a big big problem. 

Anyway, glad I saw this post because you and I are in the same boat. 

Thanks Chiara and best of luck!

Dusty

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
pudingstudio
Community Member

Chiara F wrote:

Hi, I know it’s a common issue, but I’d like to get some feedback from the community. I used to have a consistent stream of jobs on Upwork (not necessarily high-paying gigs or long projects, but it was not so difficult to land a job). The situation has completely changed since May, and I’ve only got 1 small project in 4 months… I have a project going on with an old client but I’m getting worried. I’ve never boosted my proposals because I don’t want to “waste” any connects, and also because I believe that all the serious clients don’t mind whether a proposal is boosted or not. I think that “quality clients" would read all the proposals (or at least a few) because it's obvious that anybody can spend some money and boost their profile, but it doesn't mean they're better than the other freelancers on the list. At least, for me it's pretty obvious, and that would be my personal approach if I were a client...I know it’s probably different in low-paying gigs, and the clients just scroll the first couple of proposals they get. What’s your opinion? Have you experienced a dry spell recently? I’m also getting very few invitations, and their quality is generally poor…is it a common situation, is it just bad luck, or is it my fault? I’ve been on Upwork since 2016, and it’s the first time I’ve been going through such a long dry spell (not even when I was just starting out)…thanks for your suggestions and feedback! Cheers, Chiara

I agree.

Don't care what UpWork does next considering boost. As long as it's not mandatory, I'll continue to ignore that option.

chiara-franzo
Community Member

And can you still win jobs? I hope so, because I'm having some trouble...I hope it's not because of other people's boosted proposals...but if you're not boosting, and you're still working there's hope 🙂

Chiara F wrote:

And can you still win jobs? I hope so, because I'm having some trouble...I hope it's not because of other people's boosted proposals...but if you're not boosting, and you're still working there's hope 🙂

Maybe. From my perspective - yes.

Last week I didn't saw any job I really liked. Have sent couple proposals, though those jobs weren't something I REALLY liked, so expected nothing from that.

Previous couple of weeks still wasn't sending many proposals, though there were some jobs I really liked. For some of them, clients have contacted me. After talking with them, with two clients we saw it can be a good fit, was hired on those projects.

For ME, those numbers are fine as I am not sending many proposals.

Have had couple invitations in past 10 days. I never count those as I don't think I ever got an invitation that made sense for me. Mostly it's for jobs that have little to do with my skills, rest are those "Can you do this for $5".

dustin_slack
Community Member

Hi Chiara, 

While we practice different disciplines, I'm in exactly the same situation as you - and we are not alone. I don't know if it helps, but yeah, boosting has done nothing for me. I only go for "quality clients" - clients that align with with my style of design, our goals, long term, has there stuff together. It's a waste of money. I remember, since 2016, I've never had a such a hard time landing a gig, whether it's a one off or a long term. I've tried both boosting and not boosting, in the end, same result - dry spell. 

I just wrote a very long detailed post about my experience and my frustration with Upwork in it's current form a couple of hours ago. Feel free to check it out, it might align with yours or you might have different thoughts. I'm open to any discussion about it. 

But yes, I am indeed going through what you are going through and for you and I, technically being Upwork veterans, this is out of control! The amount of money we've brought in to Upwork and now it's crickets. Literally feel disrespected. 

I'm trying to get these issues to upper management because something has to change. I'm all about change, but when it starts messing with your career, your money, the way you make a living - whatever you want to call it... it's a big big problem. 

Anyway, glad I saw this post because you and I are in the same boat. 

Thanks Chiara and best of luck!

Dusty

Hi Dusty, thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sorry for you and for us freelancers...if you manage to contact the management or to get a little bit closer to the solution of this problem, let us know! Good luck, and let's hope for the best! 

beduria
Community Member

A couple alrgorithms ago, I would get over a hundred views on my profile weekly and a dozen or so invites even when my rate was considered high for what I do. For a few months now, I barely get views and invites. The people that would look at my profile would be those I send proposals too. My headline and overview was untouched since 2013 and didnt have problem getting clients. I had to change it a week ago but, I dont know how it works anymore. Ive closed clients the past couple weeks and had positive impact (earning and getting feedback) but my JSS hasnt moved an inch. Boosting and availability badges dont seem to work as well.

getcheeky
Community Member

Hey Chiara,

I'm feeling the same pains. I've been chatting with Dusty about the same topic in the thread he started. 

Things have GOT to change like NOW. Upwork is raking us over the coals.

Should we get a petition going? Dusty is trying to reach out to upper management about the situation. It effing sucks. I'm REALLY trying to remain positive though. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members