🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Duplicate Post that is Posted as New tha...
Page options
7ba0c500
Community Member

Duplicate Post that is Posted as New that Eats up Connect

Hi I have applied for this job already here are my questions:

1. Why does it not reflect that i have applied for this already please? I already paid 6 connects for it.

2. Normally Upwork says reposted but this shows that it is a new job but it isn't!

3. I have seen this happen on a few job posts over the last week.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

6 REPLIES 6
tlbp
Community Member

Clients can post the same or similar gigs as a new request. The only way for Upwork to detect this would be to screen every single post to look for similarities then try to figure out if it is a different request or a duplicate. That would require a lot of computing power and human time. 

Evaluate each gig carefully before you send a proposal to make sure that it is not a client who has already had an opportunity to hire you. 

Don't assume that something that would be good for you or seems like the right way to do things is the way Upwork does things. Go slow and learn how the platform operates before you spend lots of connects (or unintentionally break a rule). 

7ba0c500
Community Member

Huh?? I understood part of what made sense re computing power etc.

The other 2 paragraphs are off tangent.
tlbp
Community Member

Marisa Y wrote:

Hi I have applied for this job already here are my questions:

1. Why does it not reflect that i have applied for this already please? I already paid 6 connects for it.
Because the client has not used the repost option to create the gig. Instead, they have created a new gig using the same language as a previously posted gig. 
2. Normally Upwork says reposted but this shows that it is a new job but it isn't!

It is a new job because it was entered into the system as a new job. It is not a repost. You just believe it is a repost. 

You will continue to see it happen. Clients post similar gigs often. Very few are categorized as reposts.  

You are assuming that because a post looks the same or similar it should be categorized as a repost. Your assumption is wrong. If you continue to make wrong assumptions, you will continue to experience problems such as having your connects 'eaten.' 

roberty1y
Community Member

There's not much Upwork can do about it if it's a newly written post rather than an old one resubmitted. 

You could check the recent work history of every client to whom you make a proposal (a good idea for other reasons too). You'll know when you're dealing with a client you've come across before, and you can make sure it's not an old job that's been readvertised. 

Thank you that is an intelligent answer. Ive been wth Upwork abt 4mos
havent seen this scenario before as I read job posts carefully. I was
thinking Upwork algorithm.

No worries I will follow your direction.
petra_r
Community Member

Marisa Y wrote:

1, Because you haven't. You have applied for a duplicate of that job. The client posted it more than once.

2. Because it isn't reposted, it is a duplicate (the client posted the same job post twice)

3. So clients have posted the same job post more than once.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths