🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » ENROLLMENT FEE REQUESTED FROM A CLIENT
Page options
ad89c93d
Community Member

ENROLLMENT FEE REQUESTED FROM A CLIENT

Hi Everyone,

An offer came from a client through Upwork in which categories of projects i would like to work on were sent. After choosing a project, a condition was set by the client before i can start the project, which is to pay an enrollment fee. It was made known to me that the enrollment fee is for them to assure my completeness of the project but i am kind of scared because the payment method is outside Upwork.

Although, i was told the enrollment fee will be refunded after the completion of the project but i don't want to fall in the hands of scams who claims to be client.

Kindly advice on what can be done or probably if anyone has experienced such.

Thanks.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Refuse to contact any client outside of Upwork's messaging and video call system. The fact is that almost all clients who want offsite contact when there's no contract are trying to scam you. Once you have a contract, you can contact them any way you want.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
roberty1y
Community Member

The "enrollment fee" is money the "client" (i.e. thief) intends to steal from you. This is a scam. You shouldn't contact anyone outside of Upwork before a contract is started, it's against the terms of service and could result in your account being suspended.

pgiambalvo
Community Member

Scam, scam, scam. Run away.

ad89c93d
Community Member

Thanks Peter and Robert, what if there is a situation whereby a client replied through Upwork but stated that an email should be contacted.

Refuse to contact any client outside of Upwork's messaging and video call system. The fact is that almost all clients who want offsite contact when there's no contract are trying to scam you. Once you have a contract, you can contact them any way you want.

ad89c93d
Community Member

Thanks so much for the reply. Really helpful

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Community Member

Hello, I just joined Upwork and faced the same situation- client guided me to contact a person in whatsup and then I got the project list, chose the project and then they requested me to pay the enrollment fee. I referred that all the communication should be held via upwork messenger and we should sign a contract before paying anything. I also told that connects are created in Upwork for the same reason- to give the work a security. When I asked more information, they didn't answer.

Thank you for the answers here and raising the same topic, I keep searching and I hope to find a job via upwork that is not a scam 🙂 

Helena V wrote:

Hello, I just joined Upwork and faced the same situation- client guided me to contact a person in whatsup and then I got the project list, chose the project and then they requested me to pay the enrollment fee. I referred that all the communication should be held via upwork messenger and we should sign a contract before paying anything. I also told that connects are created in Upwork for the same reason- to give the work a security. When I asked more information, they didn't answer.

Thank you for the answers here and raising the same topic, I keep searching and I hope to find a job via upwork that is not a scam 🙂 

You definitely should read everything about the platform, not only about scams. 

You might confuse a serious client when you tell them they need to sign a contract or what you believe connects are for. Clients don't care about connects, and there are no contracts to be signed. 

Hi Helena,

Thank you for your message. I have forwarded your report to the relevant team to review and take appropriate action. 

Please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork
yofazza
Community Member

Now it feels like Upwork is implementing natural selection on this scam problem to freelancers, probably due to the excessive supply.

Some of them find this forum and understands the situation. Some ask questions after almost scammed. Some got scammed already, before they came to this forum.

And there's also a portion who's got scammed and never came to this forum. I just checked on 2 crypto posts, both posts has 2 work history which were completed, with 5 stars on both parties. And I don't recognize the freelancers' names from ever posting in here. One of the freelancer is a designer in USA with many completed projects.

I'm sure not everyone that gets scammed comes to the forum. The people complaining are still in the denial stage - they are ranting and raving that upwork stole their money, which they worked so incredibly hard for. 

Others probably realize it sooner, and they are not willing to talk about it because of embarrassement. 

Generally, I think it goes like this:

1. Great! I found a stupid rich guy who doesn't know how to buy crypto. I could explain it to him, but I'd rather get the crazy commission he is willing to pay! Plus he is telling me that payments on upwork are guaranteed! Wow this is an easy way to make money!

2. I put my hourly rate to $500/ hour, because hourly payments are always guaranteed! This is so great. I hope other people don't find out about this. I'm so clever. 

3. I got the bonus! Bought the crypto! Life is good!

4. Where is my bonus? I'm going to the forum to complain. Upwork is a huge scam. They stole my money.

5. The forum posters are the worst. Telling me about ToS, no idea what that is and how it applies to me. 

Something along those lines. And that is why my compassion for the victims is wearing a little thin. These people are completely clueless. Don't they consider that having a fantasy hourly rate ruins their profiles? That nobody in real life pays these crazy commissons? I just don't get it. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members