EU VAT Invoice - send your feedback to Upwork to get missing feature implemented!

Hello,

most freelancers who need to pay VAT in the EU have the problem that Upwork doesn't provide them a copy of the invoice their clients receive. However this is important for me as a service provider to correctly file my tax obligations each month (VAT and personal income tax). The transaction report which Upwork provides is not sufficient, because:

- It doesn't have the full business address of my clients

- It doesn't state whether the client or I have to bear the VAT charge on the respective invoice

As I don't have a copy of the invoices Upwork sends to my EU-based clients I also don't know if the reverse charge clause is included in these invoices or not. That makes a huge difference!

So far the only workaround is (according to discussions in this community):

- to ask your clients to send a copy of the invoice.

- or to create an invoice yourself in your own bookkeeping system (but for that I miss the full business address of my clients and their consent that I would reverse charge the VAT on them if they are also based in the EU).

This is of course another administrative burden for us freelancers.

In the support chat I got told that I should leave feedback on each appropriate page of the Upwork platform. So I propose that we ALL affected use that tool to urge Upwork to make these changes:

- Make all invoices available and downloadable for the respective freelancer, not just the invoices for the Upwork service fee.

- Or even better: Before sending invoices on the freelancer's behalf, let him review the invoice and add an option the freelancer can choose if he wants to have the reverse charge clause in the invoice (when applicable)

Where you can leave the feedback: Go to "Reports", then "More Reports", scroll down in the drop-down menu until you see "Transaction History". Click on it. Go to the bottom of the new page, click on "Feedback" and leave your feedback there.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your feedback. Our team is aware of the feedback freelancers shared in the Community and has this feature on their roadmap. In the meantime, please take a look a the information and use the method Joachim shared here when issuing your own invoices.

Untitled

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your feedback. Our team is aware of the feedback freelancers shared in the Community and has this feature on their roadmap. In the meantime, please take a look a the information and use the method Joachim shared here when issuing your own invoices.

Untitled

Hi Vladimir,

I have read Joachim's posts about this issue and I have kindly asked my clients to provide me either with a copy of the invoice they have received or to give me their business address and VAT so that I can issue an invoice for my bookkeeping purposes. I am bound to their understanding and cooperation. I just would like to see the improvements done ASAP because it is crucial for EU freelancers to use Upwork in accordance with the laws applicable to them. The community request to make invoices available to freelancers is over one year old. I don't believe that Upwork needs so long to implement a small but extremel important feature, no matter how **Edited for Community Guidelines**. 

versailles

Dennis, I appreciate your initiative. However, this issue was already discussed at length and Upwork is totally aware of the problem for EU providers. There is a reason why they don't do anything about it. Of course we can't tell what the reason is and the only thing that we can do is speculate:

- They are struggling to make any changes to the software because it's poorly written and any changes could break something. With 10 million users, they don't want to take the chance.

- They just don't want to release clients' details to freelancers. Many freelancers here are not professionals in their behavior and Upwork wants to shield them.

- They don't care. Lots of hassle for nothing. It doesn't impact them, it impacts you, if you're not happy with the way it is done, you can leave.

I have no frickin idea about the reason why but despite their promises to provide the freelancers with a copy of the invoices sent in their name, they obviously have no intention to do it. And there is absolutely nothing that we can do about it.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Rene,

I believe Valeria responded to a similar comment of yours a while back, and in addition to her reply we confirmed on other threads our intention to help the freelancers from the EU and make certain changes in this respect.

Untitled

Yep, and it's been said to be on the roadmap for the last... what, 3 years?

Meanwhile we struggle to keep our records straight because 1) not all clients are cooperative when it comes to providing info they've already given to Upwork (and they're right, it shouldn't fall on them to share a document if Upwork's the one issuing it in our name). Not to mention the mess with the invoices Upwork issues to freelancers for the fees and VAT. Patiently waiting to see the promsied progress... in the next 3 years or so. At least now there are gifs in the message centre. 

Thanks Vlad. You're right, Valeria already responded to one of my comments. We have already heard about invoice copies being on the roadmap too. Many times. And for months if not years.

Nobody understands why it takes so long to send copies of the invoices and I guess many just like me believe it won't happen.

So if it happens, great. I'm not holding my breath, though.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless