cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Go work with an employer who

Gabriele D Member Since: Jan 31, 2014
1 of 9
Hi, I find it really frustrating that I can't withdraw my earnings for ages, and when they are finally available ODesk is charging to withdraw these minuscule amounts. Is this really necessary or are you just trying to annoy contractors? Or is there more money to be made in having contractors' earnings at your disposal for an extra week? Gabriele
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
2 of 9
If you were a freelancer working directly with clients, without an intermediary like oDesk, you might have to wait between 30 and 90 days after the client received and reviewed your work before you got paid. That's assuming that the client doesn't try to delay payment and you didn't have to send numerous emails or make numerous phone calls asking for your money. If you worked for an employer, you might have to wait between a fortnight and month to get paid. The $2.00 fee to deposit oDesk earnings into a UK bank account is minimal. My US bank charges $40 for a wire transfer to a UK bank. You don't have to withdraw your earnings every time you get paid, you can keep your earnings in your account and withdraw them at once so you don't have to pay the fee over and over,as long as you don't go over the $1000 threshold. I would rather wait 10 days to have my payments reviewed rather than have someone use my oDesk acount for a money laundering scheme.
Gabriele D Member Since: Jan 31, 2014
3 of 9
Well, the client may take their time to pay anyway, but I don't see why ODesk should sit on it or charge for every single withdrawal a contractor makes. They already charge a fee. If I worked for an employer I had a payday, much more predictable and they don't charge to pay me either. PayPal don't charge me to withdraw? Although the exchange rate is not good. Money laundering scheme? Hm, that might be a reason ...
Highlighted
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
4 of 9
Go work with an employer who gives you a payday then if the miniscule fee oDesk charges per withdrawal and the review period is too much for you.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Guru
5 of 9
I pay a transaction fee when I get paid through PayPal. (I don't use PayPal for oDesk, but some other clients pay me through it.)
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
6 of 9
Same here. I have to give Paypal around 4% of each transaction. Of course, I usually work that into my fee so it gets covered or at least partially covered.
Community Guru
Margaret P Member Since: Jul 7, 2007
7 of 9
[quote=Gabriele D.] I find it really frustrating that I can't withdraw my earnings for ages, and when they are finally available ODesk is charging to withdraw these minuscule amounts. Is this really necessary or are you just trying to annoy contractors? Or is there more money to be made in having contractors' earnings at your disposal for an extra week? Gabriele[/quote] The review period is for the client to review your time worked and make sure they agree to it.
Community Guru
8 of 9
You're right Margaret. I was confusing with the security period. Either way, it is not a long time.
Amira A Member Since: Sep 1, 2012
9 of 9
Gabriele D., I agree with you!
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS